chapter fifteen

TW: murder, torture, mention of adultery, kidnapping, graphic description of crime scenes, animal murder, mention of snuff films, biblical killings, mention of guns, mild language, police presence.

revelations, part two of two.

" there are honest people in the world, but only because the devil considers their asking prices ridiculous "
- peter s. beagle

Genevieve had found some bandages lying around in the bathroom, so she used them to wrap up her hands after rinsing all the blood off of them in the sink. By the time she was done, Derek and Emily had drawn the conclusion that Tobias had been the one to choose where to hide Spencer. She walked into the dining room just as JJ did.

"Where's Gideon?" The blonde asked sullenly.

"He's upstairs in Tobias' bedroom," Genevieve replied, having had seen him on her way downstairs from the bathroom.

"Why?" Emily asked curiously. JJ sighed, as if she'd been hoping they wouldn't ask.

"Hankel just posted the latest murder,"

+++

Gideon called the team back into the computer room, where the live stream of Spencer had been turned back on. Genevieve gasped. Spencer was lying on the floor, unconscious, with Tobias hunkered over him, performing mouth to mouth in a desperate attempt to revive him. She felt Derek stiffen beside her as he watched what was happening.

She didn't remember thinking about doing it, but the next thing she knew, her fingers were tangled with his. He was careful not to squeeze her hands too hard to hurt her, given that they were already bandaged, but just hard enough to alleviate some of the stress he felt while watching his friend - the man he viewed as his little brother started coughing violently, choking on his own spit. The feed cut out before they could see anything more, but it was enough.

The team let out a collective sigh of relief as they saw that Spencer was alive.

"Wait, wait a second," Emily held up her hands to draw everyone's attention to her. "When was the video of the last murder uploaded?"

Garcia typed away for a few seconds before answering.

"9:23,"

"And time of death?" Emily asked.

"The 911 call came in at 9:04, and the murder must have taken place moments later," Hotch responded, a hand covering the lower half of his face.

"That's only a nineteen minutes difference," JJ realised, as the rest of the team caught on to what Emily was trying to say.

"The video wasn't too long. Four, five minutes, max. It wouldn't take any longer than three minutes to upload," Genevieve said, her eyes widening.

"More like two minutes," Garcia corrected her.

"Okay, two minutes, which means that he had seventeen minutes to drive from the crime scene to Reid. There's a maximum of sixty miles per hour in a residential area, which means that Hankel can't be farther than seventeen miles from the crime scene," Derek said, looking down at Genevieve, who had the ghost of a smile on her face at the prospect of their first helpful lead all day.

"Garcia, get that up on a map," Gideon requested.

"On it, sir... here we go," Garcia said, pulling the map up with a medium-sized circle expanding from the location of the crime scene.