Buck, Actually

**** Trigger Warning: Depressive Thoughts. Deals with Mental Health*****

Today was going to be a good day, but then the day sucked, and all Jane was left with was a pit in her stomach saying that this had been a bad idea.

Jane was almost kicking herself as she walked into the bar and took a seat at a table with Buck and Chimney after work. She was stressed and sad over so many things and she knew adding alcohol to the mixed emotions she was feeling would only cause more problems than it fixed. However, remembering the numerous times she avoided or outright ignored Eddie when they'd been on shift earlier that day had made her feel reckless. Besides, Buck wanted to celebrate his 'new' freedom and the fact that he didn't get shot today.

Hence, going to the bar and Jane wondering if she'd made a huge mistake. This was confirmed when she slid into her seat and Buck started speaking.

"The world looks so different now that I'm single again," he said, checking out the numerous girls who were eyeing him right back.

"Buck, you've been single for months," Chimney said with a smile of indulgence while pulling out his phone.

"Only circumstantially," he replied. "I know Abby's been gone for a while, but in my head, we've been together this whole time, and now that I'm out of her place..."

"And living on my couch," Chimney retorted while texting on his phone.

"Which I really appreciate."

"Happy to help. Even though I did initially think you were just coming over to watch the game."

"I'm just..." Buck struggled. "I'm nervous."

"Are you afraid to get back on the horse?" Chimney asked incredulously.

"Do we really want to refer to the numerous women he's hooked up with as horses?" Jane asked sardonically, earning a curious glance from her friends. She ignored them and looked around anxiously. "Where is that server?"

"That's the point," Buck pointed at Jane, ignoring her second comment. "I don't want to revert back to being Buck 1.0. I know I'm single Buck again, but I want to be single Buck 2.0."

"A noble goal," Jane nodded in agreement as Chimney's phone continued to buzz. Jane half listened and continued to look for the person who would bring her alcohol. Of course, then Buck had to go and ruin whatever peace of mind she'd hoped to find here.

"Like, if I'd come in here with Abby, I would never have noticed that blonde over there, licking the salted rim of her margarita glass while she maintains strong, intimate eye contact."

"Okay," Chimney's eyes were now back on their friend. "Is that really happening." He turned to look, but Jane didn't even bother, certain it was in fact happening.

"Say, I go over there, right?" Buck mused. "I, uh...talk to her. I make a joke, she smiles, we both laugh. Our-our shoulders touch, there's a moment. I lean in a little closer, she doesn't resist. One drink, two compliments later, we end up in bed together having totally meaningless sex."

"I really need that fucking drink," Jane growled under her breath. If they'd been paying attention, she'd have gotten shocked looks, but they were preoccupied in the life possibilities that seemed to follow Evan Buckley everywhere. Then, by the grace of God, the waitress approached them. Jane could have wept in relief. She needed a drink to get through any more of this relationship talk. Usually, Buck and Chimney were easy to hang out with, but with Buck distracted and Chimney on his phone, she felt isolated.