𝟬𝟰𝟴. everything has changed

ღ chapter forty eight ( everything has changed )

chapter forty eight
( everything has changed )

THE NIGHTMARES SEEMEDto amplify in the halls of 12 Grimmauld Place as her ancestors sulked their way from room to room, grotesque smiles leering at Jules from every corner no matter where she seemed to turn her head. She'd made her displeasure about the Black family's new residence very clear to Albus Dumbledore, who'd visited one day when she'd felt too sick to move, making her even more irritable and prone to shout at the headmaster, who'd simply taken her verbal beating before moving away to talk in hushed tones with her mother. Who subjected a girl that could see spirits to live in a house that had been haunted for centuries?

Some were friendly and protected her from the more physically violent ones that attacked her for the simple reason that her father had betrayed the family. Marlene and Stevie's presence was constant, a warm light she could feel on either side of her even if she couldn't see them at the moment. They kept watch over her at night, and talked to her frequently, making her feel a little less insane as she roamed the halls of the mansion aimlessly, deprived of connection with anyone her age. Solace came when her Uncle Moony swept through every once in a while, always up for a cuppa and an intense philosophical discussion in the dim lighting of the kitchen, his soft jumpers he left behind a comfort on nights when she awoke with her throat raw as green lights flashed behind her eyes.

She'd grown up, slimmer and taller like a weed as she shot up past her mother, characterized by long slender limbs like a ballerina that she shrouded in oversized jumpers and Sirius's old leather jacket, her tights and trousers full of holes that she refused to mend. The eyeliner seemed darker and heavier on her somber, glacial eyes, her cheeks hollowed out as any traces of baby fat remaining on her face seemed to evaporate.

It wasn't just her physical state that changed though. She was colder in ways that hurt her parents, disinterested in conversation, no longer bubbly and outgoing. The anger was the worst part of it. It was explosive and destructive, a stark change from the girl who was once as sweet as honey. She left destruction in her path when her temper boiled over, doors slammed shut so hard they'd been blown of the hinges, so much so that Sirius and Cordelia had confiscated her wand, only to find that her innate magical ability had amplified to the point where she had some semblance of control over it. They were forced to confront that fact when her blue eyes glazed over black and she blew them away from her like ragdolls with a single flick of her hand. She seemed remorseful after, but the entire incident had shaken the couple to their core, and they were extra careful with letting Jules around Phoebe after, even if she had profusely apologized and explained that it felt like someone else was controlling her body when that had occurred.

She hated Grimmauld Place and the energy inside of it, meaning muggle London was often her escape when she secretly snuck out of her house through the attic window to traipse through the posh neighborhood looking very out of place in her ragged clothing, smoking at the cafe down the street and downing burnt coffee that scalded the back of her throat.