Chapter 1

He stops his bike in front of an old gate. He slowly opens it and goes inside walking holding the bike. He parks under the porch and walks towards the door of a single story old house. He unlocks the door without making any noise and tip toes inside. The living room is dark. There is an old sofa at the centre with a glass table in front of it. A little away from it is a big old dining table with six chairs.

He puts the keys and phone on the table and flops on the sofa. Leaning his head on the back, he closes his eyes. Suddenly he feels his ears being pulled and he sits up screaming.
"Ah... Maa..What are you doing? It's hurting.."
"Sid, Where were you all night?"
Sumitra Sehgal, his mother asks with an angry look.

Sid aka Sidharth Sehgal looks at her as she leaves his ear, "I was.. out.. ghum raha tha."
"Stop lying. Tell me the truth."
"I am not lying Ma."
"Sid, pite ga tu."
"Ma, I was out roaming on the streets with.. taxi."

Sumitra stares at him, "Tu phir se Taxi chala raha tha? I had told you not to still."
"Ma, I wanted to earn a few bucks. So.."
"Sid, you are already working two jobs, some times even three. Now you will not even rest at night. I know why you need extra money. Shini ke liye, hai nai?"
Sidharth scratches his head, "Shini needs money to go on her educational tour. Jo bhi earn karta hun, sab toh loan payment aur ghar ke kharcho mein chali jati hai. I just need a few days and I will collect enough for her fees."

Sumitra's eyes fill with tears, "Your father left suddenly and you had to take all the responsibilities now. Kitna aur karega tu? Thak ta nahi hai kya?"
Sidharth stands up and hugs his mother, "I don't get tired. I am doing everything for my family. How can this be tiring? You don't worry, I am fit and fine."
He breaks the hug and his mother gives him a sad smile.

"I know you are saying all these to stop me from getting upset. But how can I not. You studied so hard but couldn't get your dream job. It was my responsibility to ensure you complete your education. But I failed. As a mother I couldn't do anything. For 5 years you have been working hard to pay the debt as well as paying for Shini's education. You are doing so much and I.."
Sidharth shakes his head and wraps his arms around her again,"Bas Mother India bas.. itna pani bahagi toh Mumbai phir se dub jayega. So, control yourself."

"Badmash. Always joking.", she hits him on his arm.
"Ma, see I am happy. A few more months and we will pay off the debts. And when Shini will get a job, we won't have to think anymore. And main khush hun. I like what I do. So mum, take a chill pill.."
He starts to laugh while she smiles, "Kuch khayega?"
"No. I need to sleep. Utha dena. Kaam pe jana hai."
"Go and take some rest."

Sidharth goes to his room. The room is spacious with a standard size bed at the centre. A desk and chair lies at one side of the wall, a wardrobe on the other side. There is a seating area near the huge window with two bin bags there. A guitar lies on the old couch.

He throws his phone on the bed, takes out his towel and goes to have a bath. After getting fresh, he picks up his phone and lies down on the bed. He is tired, too much actually. But he can't tell that to his mother. He stares at his father's photograph on the wall and remembers the time when he was alive.

Life was good and comfortable then. He didn't have to worry about anything then. His college, his music and his friends were what he had to think of. His father, Virendra Sehgal had garment's factory. He was a hard-working person and that made him successful. Money was not a problem then. They were not super rich but had a nice lifestyle.

But one incident suddenly changed everything. One night while returning home, his father met with an accident. He was seriously injured and taken to the hospital. For 20 days he fought with death and finally succumbed to his injuries.
He left behind big hospital bills to clear and a huge debt to return.