Chapter 63

~~~~~~~

After the evening dew set in, the field seemed like the ocean reflecting in the moon. In the sky, constellations had gathered, keeping watch on all below. The stars surrounded the moon as a sweater surrounds you when you put it on.

The twenty-year-old man hugged his body tightly, his brown locks tousled as they fell to his eyes. He was tall, his face oval-shaped and his shoulders broad and brooding. His features were gentle, softer. His cheekbones were set high, the black orbs in his eyes small and round. His nose was bulbous tipped, his lips a thin line and his teeth perfectly straight. He didn't look scary, perhaps just handsome. Whereas in the future, he would grow to have rough features and intimidating stares.

The smell of wet grass and dirt had filled the air. Evergreen trees besieged one half of the field and covered up the old wooden house, moss and dirt on the tiled roof. The nice warm summer air had almost gone. As the night sat in, cold air filled the darkness. The smell of smoke and firewood was in the distance, someone was amassing a campfire nearby.

Henry discreetly pushed on the wooden door, his hands shivering from the cold as he didn't own any warm clothes for the night. The door creaked open with him gently stepping on the wooden floor, trying to be as careful as possible.

The wooden cabin was lit up by a fireplace to the left of the door, facing his side. The sound of flickering flames and burning wood calming to his ears. He closed the door behind him, finally gathering himself as he glanced at the unfamiliar room.

In front of the fireplace was placed a small red couch a little more to the left of the room. On the right side lay a dark wooden table and placed atop was a burned-out candle and a bowl of fruit. A stone window had been positioned in front of a tiny desk that lay a few feet in front of the door. The place was surrounded by books, the walls containing bookshelves. To his right lay a small set of circular stairs that steered upstairs. It was a cosy environment, a place so luxurious to his eyes.

"Emerald?"

His hushed voice sounded louder in the empty cabin.

He walked towards the fireplace, his hands tracing the red couch before he walked towards the table with fruit on it. He grabbed an apple, staring at it. It looked delicious. His sister loved apples, especially the ripe red ones. They were her favourite.

Feeling the warmth of the fireplace behind him, he glided towards it, reaching out his hands and bending closer. The feeling was extremely comforting, like the tight embrace of a mother.

He wished he could bring his sister here, let her enjoy some of the fancy offerings this cabin had to bestow, but he knew that was impossible. The thought made him feel sad, his chest clenching up in agony.

"Henry," the deep and velvety voice of a girl brought him back to actuality.

He turned on his ankles and locked gazes with the ever so lovely brown eyes he had grown so accustomed to. Her face was symmetrical and heart-shaped, eyes a honey brown. Her luscious black hair was let down, reaching her hips as it trailed behind her. She wore a simple green gown that outlined her slim and slender figure. Her sharp jawline was inscribed, her eyelashes long and noticeable, her cheekbones were prominent as her eyebrows slanted down in a neat frown.

Henry noticed something. She looked more beautiful every time he got to meet her.

"You're here," Emerald spoke, her rather deep voice filling in the empty cabin space.