001. UA

【ENIGMA】

***

Here's the thing: setting her kitchen on fire wasn't really her plan.

When she'd decided to put her foot down and 'conquer the flames'— a long lecture from her mother wasn't what she had in mind. She expected to emerge from the heat victorious and ready to rush on to the next challenge, really. Instead, she got smoke-filled lungs and ten minutes of coughing. The thing is— flames had always been something that interested Y/n.

Fire was passion. Destruction. A sterilizer.

It could bring chaos to a city. Burn it to ashes whilst being the embodiment of beauty and illumination, but Y/n... couldn't see it either way.

It was pretty stupid of her, to think she could somehow feel the beauty of the rage like she could everything else; perhaps feel the weight of its embellishment and shimmer heavy on her eyelids—and she realized it was stupid when her attempt to conquer the chaos ended with a loud and steady beeping filling the room and shouting coming from her parents as they tried to turn off the fire alarm and scold their daughter at the same time.

Not Y/n's proudest moment, but it's not like she had many of those, to begin with.

Attempt number fifty-three at starting and putting out a fire had yet again failed, and she knew things like this couldn't get her down, but damn did it really suck when there were so many challenges beyond fire that she wanted to conquer.

Everything else had come so easy to her.

Like, getting onto a bus or making her way downtown, or, in this case, successfully arriving at school and easily making her way down the long halls. Things that could be considered challenging for a typical blind person— just weren't for her.

Everything always seemed to go her way and she wanted to go beyond that. She wanted to be able to, for once, take out the chaos as easily as she created it. The thing Y/n seemed to easily forget about herself, however, was the fact that she was a chaos-starter. Never much of a solver. Maybe the entire thing was just weird. Starting fires blind and hoping to take them out, still blind.

Ah

When it was put like that, it seemed worse than it actually was, and Y/n almost felt grateful to have her thinking interrupted when she was knocked to the side by someone rushing past. Thinking, in her case, was too much of a hassle, anyway.

She gripped her backpack and hadn't been expecting the trembling and furious apologies spilling from the guy who did so; she was almost knocked over a second time by the force of his overpowering insecurity. She could feel it like the coolness of fragrance or maybe a breeze in the fall was a better way to describe it. Typically chilling and soothing— not in this case, though. If anything, it was concerning. Like he was on the verge of tears for... accidentally bumping into someone.

He got even more curious when he abruptly paused mid apology, almost choked up. Y/n frowned in confusion and could feel him get really close as he gasped and asked,

"Is that your quirk?" And like he had felt an immediate urge to explain the reasoning for his sudden question, he followed up with, "Or— I mean just, your eyes— they're... they're really cool!"

His voice was sweet and child-like and Y/n felt almost flattered by his fascination. And for the first time since bumping into the strange boy, she finally captured a second to speak.

"Thanks!" And in a drawled brag she continued, "They don't work."

There was no need for beating around the bush, even if her words would crush the excited boy, and so she had decided to cut to the chase.