27. bicker

027

027

Devora's legs carried her upper body towards him, her eyebrows netting in chaos all at the same time.

"Jungkook? I thought you had to go and prepare for the show?" She couldn't come up with something quicker than that.

Unable to brush off the unfathomable expression, spitting her words out as quickly as she could.

He closed the small space that was between their bodies, looking down at her. "I do, but I thought I should wish you good luck first, and—and drop these off for you." His arms jerked forward, gesturing the gifts in his hands.

"F-For me?" Devora was struck with the feeling of deja vu, asking the same questions as before.

"Yeah, I feel really bad for..." His eyes trailed off, unnerved. "You know what, maybe we can just talk about things after? I just hope you'll accept these as an apology."

Regret.

She felt ashamed for jumping to conclusions so quickly. He was out getting those gifts for her, not trying to shun her — how she assumed before.

Her eyes dropped to his collared button-up, "Um, yeah. That's fine." Devora agreed, taking hold of the large vase.

"You didn't have to do all this, showing up late... for me." She muttered wistfully.

"I know I didn't have to, but I wanted to. You deserve this and an apology, I feel horrible for being so senseless this past week, and there's no excuse that will do me any good." Gloom came over his physique, eyes hung low like a guilty puppy.

She was deliberate when taking his gifts, not because she didn't want to accept his apology, but she wasn't fond of the idea of him spending so much money on her.

Not to mention the wound that was masticating at her chest from the night before, when she saw him at the club with another woman.

Jungkook was nothing but a friend, yet, seeing him with someone else while he pushed her away was a hard pill to swallow.

As much as she wishes she could give him the cold shoulder, her heart wouldn't allow her to be so misunderstanding and insensitive.

Maybe her forgiving ways were the reason why she invariably got taken advantage of. But in her eyes, it was better than having her generous heart poisoned with the venom of malevolence.

"Jungkook, we can talk about things after... but for now, I appreciate your thoughtful gifts, and thank you for coming back here to wish me luck." Her hand caressed his while taking the small box out of his hands.

He was warm.

His warmth sent tingles down her spine, her body already taking in his unspoken apology, unabashed. Almost like it forgot all the sentiments he put her through.