fifty two: the genius

It's always a horrible feeling finding out things you didn't know about yourself. Or at least, that's what I've been led to believe – but I'm now realising that the reasoning for that might be because there's nothing good for me to discover about myself.

And I think as time goes on, I'm figuring that out more and more.

"Jax, I'm telling you, it's her."

"Shut the fuck up Alek, there's no way-"

"She does look awfully similar-" Lia put in.

"I'm telling you mate, it's her."

They were talking about me like I wasn't even there. And I really wished I wasn't, as currently I was standing there with three different guns drawn at my head.

Thomas and Vince sat uncomfortably on the other side of the room, both of which had guns pointed at them too. The only reason for that was because Thomas started to get annoyed when they accused me of killing their friend.

I haven't said a thing since the accusations started – what am I supposed to say? I didn't do it? At this point, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out I had taken this man's life.

It was clear a long time ago I never had any issues with that.

"What do we do with her?" Alek asked, eyeing me suspiciously as he kept his pistol aimed at my temple.

I am too tired to take on all these people. If I nap for twenty or so minutes however-

"Piss off Alek, we don't if it's her yet." Lia hissed. But even with her defending me, she still didn't lower her weapon.

"What do you want to know?" I asked finally, clearly taking them all by surprise.

Jax looked exhausted, but still he grabbed a chair from the corner of the room and swivelled it around for him to sit on.

Lia and Alek did the same, so it was just me left standing.

"Show us your arm."

Fuck.

I swallowed hard and took a large breath in. Slowly, I pulled up my right sleeve, and I watched as Lia and Alek visibly deflated in their seats.

However, Jax did not seem to be impressed.

"Now the other one, sweetheart. I'm not stupid."

I scowled and accepted my fate. There was nothing I could do now; they'll see the mark, and they'll kill me. They will think I'm the enemy, and then they'll put a bullet in my head.

It was strange to think this is the last place I'll ever take a breath. This odd little room inside these people's camp. Surrounded by people I didn't even know, with my two acquaintances sitting on the side-lines – forced to watch.

They had already been subjected to so much violence – I didn't think it fair for them to have to see this.

"Come on, love. We're on the clock here."

I took a deep breath in, and pulled up my sleeve.

And for a long time, there was silence.

Because I didn't want to look at them, nevertheless say anything. I could hear Thomas' unsteady breathing from here, and I knew Vince was on edge.

I never understood what people meant before when they said that silence could be deafening.

Now I do.