chapter fifteen: "I want to"

Friday October 1st

"Come on, Scarlett!" Chloe pulls me into the next boutique.

"How many more dresses are we going to try on" I whine.

"As many as it takes, we are going to look amazing tomorrow" Bella squeals.

Tomorrow was the annual Clarkson Hockey Banquet. Every year, players, coaches, alumni, boosters, and significant others are invited to this extravagant banquet to celebrate the season. We have a bye week this weekend so it's tomorrow.

I've always gotten to avoid the event as I was only a daughter of the coach, but each player is encouraged to bring a date and I'm obviously going with Noah. Chloe is joining Seth and Andrew asked Nat to go with him. After seeing that ¾ of the girls were going, Cameron demanded Bella join him as his date to quote unquote "keep the squad together."

We enter our 7th store of the day in hopes of finding the perfect dresses. Nat found hers in store 3 and Chloe found hers in store 5. Now all that's left is me and Bella.

The banquet is black tie. Meaning long, formal dresses for the girls and full suit and ties for the guys. Courtesy of Sam Prescott, Clarkson Hockey's biggest alumni and booster. He throws the banquet every year, and I hear that every year he gives the same boring speech as the year before.

Sam Prescott is a very reserved man. I've met him several times at dinners or games and I've never so much as found out where the guy lives. He keeps his life very private. As far as I know, he's unmarried, no kids, and spends his time running his law firm or in court.

We try on dozens of more dresses. I'm taking off the last one that I had brought in with me when Chloe shoves a new bag through the curtain.

"Try this one, we found it hidden between racks" Chloe says excitedly.

"Doesn't that mean someone is hiding it so they can come back to get it?"

"Hush. If they wanted it, they should've bought it. Just try it on" She insists.

I sigh and begin sliding the dress on. As much as I hate to admit it, I look amazing in this dress. It's simple and classy but still fit for a 19-year-old. It's a deep red color with dainty straps holding it up. It has a deep V-cut and hugs every curve perfectly. It scrunches on my right hip and has a long slit on my left leg, making my legs seem longer than they truly are.

I step out of the curtains and hear 3 staggered gasps.

"Scarlett if you don't buy that dress right now, I think I'll murder you." Chloe threatens.

"You look gorgeous babe" Nat gushes, Bella nodding to agree.

"Well, what are we waiting for then? Let's buy it" I laugh.

I look at the tag, $300. Yikes. My dad gave me a very strict budget of $250 on the dress, $50 on the shoes. So I do what any rational daughter would do, and call my mom to get her on my side.

I hit the facetime button and my mom's face pops up on the screen.

"Hi honey!" She yells.

"Mom, I told you, you don't have to yell remember? It's like being on the phone, I can hear you just fine" I laugh.

"Sorry, I forgot" she giggles, "what's up sweetie?"

"Look at this dress," I turn the camera around to the mirror.

She gasps, "oh my, that is just gorgeous. You have to get it."

"I'm glad you think so, but its $300 and dad said no more than $250 on a dress" I give her my best pouty face.