Meeting

A pretty chill chapter. More excitement incoming

I yawned as I sauntered out of Nat's room, she wasn't there when I woke up so after a quick and lonely shower I decided to go looking for her. I normally found her in the kitchen whispering with Wanda but she wasn't there, I grabbed a glass of water and continued my hunt through the compound. I finally felt like I was learning my around, I'd been here long enough!

I decided the gym was the next best bet but I was met with another silent room. I looked round trying to decide where to go next when a voice I felt like I recognised spoke.
"So you're the one that's cost me a fortune in new beds?" I turned to find myself face to face with Tony Stark. Immediately my face started to burn- you break one bed and suddenly you can never live it down.
"I...well, technically it was Nata- " i stopped talking as he turned and started walking away. Rude!
"Follow" he called over his shoulder walking out of the gym. I rolled my eyes but trotted after him, years of following Fury made me used to men in authority having questionable people skills.

He walked quickly in silence for a while, he occasionally seemed to stop and check something in various control panels. I wanted to ask where I was going but chose to just wait patiently, hopefully I'd spot Nat along the way.

"She's on a mission...your mission." I didn't realise he was talking to me at first.
My eyes snapped back from the control panel I'd been looking at over his shoulder when I realised he was speaking to me. "I don't have any active missions Sir!" I found myself standing to attention.

"First don't call me Sir, I'm not Nick Fury...I think one of him is enough for any planet." He turned around smirking, "and secondly the mission you didn't complete" he said it so matter of factly I barely managed to feel annoyed about failing my first solo mission. I didn't realise he'd kept walking until I he'd almost vanished out of sight. I half ran to catch up with him as he took a route I'd never seen before. 

"Wait... why is she on my old mission? Wasn't it a bust?" I tried to slow my breathing, I hadn't thought about that mission for so long and now memories of it came flooding back hard. I wasn't jealous that Nat got to head out and probably finish something I couldn't but I was worried. The thought of her being attacked and alone.

"She's with Wanda and Yelena and Rodgers" he said looking up from some paperwork. He gestured to a pretty comfy looking seat that I perched at the edge of, I wanted to leap up and do something but I had no idea what.
"Did you hear what I just said kid?"
I nodded, "yeah Nat's away...when are they due back?"

He laughed shaking his head, "not listening! Did you not just hear me list three avengers and Yelena?" I nodded again not really understanding what he was getting about. "What I'm saying kid is that you can't beat yourself up about that mission not going to plan"

I stared at him confused for a second, "wait are you saying it's dangerous? Do we need to go too? Is this a suit up moment?" My brain was racing faster than ever, it Nat was in danger then I needed to help her!

Now it was Stark's turn to stare at me confused. "I... you're being serious right now?" He squeezed the bridge of his nose and took a deep breath, "I'm surrounded by fools. Look Agent what I'm trying to get through to you is your mission didn't fail because of your incompetence, though I am starting to wonder how you've passed any exams. Your mission failed because Fury should have asked for help"

"So we aren't...suiting up?" I asked weakly still not really understanding what he was talking about. I bit my thumb nail awkwardly when he let out the biggest sigh I've ever seen anyone sigh.  I stood awkwardly waiting for an order or something.
"What?" He asked eventually.
"Well what should I do?"
"What do you normally spend your time doing?"
"Hmm hangout with Nat, or stress out Wanda with Yelena. Yesterday we took bets on who could-"
He held his hand up to stop me talking, "I don't want to know...go find Parker but no shooting or throwing anything sharp at him" I narrowed my eyes, he totally already knew that me and Yelena had been seeing if we could cut each other's hair via throwing knives. Hopefully Wanda didn't notice the weird patches of short hair we were both now rocking.

"You're going to be feral by the time Fury gets you back" his words were soft as he shook his head, I think he wanted to laugh. I felt an odd pang of sadness at the thought of going back to work. Months ago that was my life but now I'd almost tasted a freedom I never had before and people I cared about...cared about more than anything I'd ever cared about before. "That's if you want to go back?" He was watching me closely now.

"Is staying an...option?" I asked carefully unsure of what he would say. Surely they didn't have a job for me here, it's not like I could do anything that impressive compared to the rest of the Avengers.

"Potentially. They'll be back by sunset" I realised I was being dismissed and went off to find Parker.