Chapter Thirty-Three

I raised my hand. The teacher called me up to her desk.

I actually wasn't mad or anything because I didn't know any of the people's names on that list so that probably meant she was just telling us her sheet of brainstorming baby names or whatever.

"Why isn't my name on the list?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Too bad, so sad." I don't know who my favorite teacher is, but I know who my least favorite is.

"Why are you guys so loud?" She yelled to the class, "I'm sure the President can hear you telling Caleb about how your boyfriend hogged the toilet at your house, Annalise."

"We try our best to," A girl commented, "Our voices should be heard, anyway. You told us that at the beginning of the year."

"Well, you're talking about the wrong teacher." She huffed in annoyance.

"No, I remember you talking about it," someone else said.

"That was me at the beginning of the year. I changed my mind. Now let me deal with this." She turned back to me.

Her eyes flickered back to the sheet of paper and said, "Oh."

That's all she's gotta say? Seriously?

"Wrong list." She looked around her desk for the list of names.

"Okay! So here's the list of people that get to go on this awesome trip with me..." She continued calling out names.

My name wasn't on that list, either.
____________

"Who sent you here?" The school's secretary asked me with a tired expression. "And why? You seem like a good kid." Then she muttered, "If I haven't seen you here before, then you're a good kid. Unless you smell like pines. Because those things stink."

"I dunno," I said, "The funky woman that-"

"It's Ms. Thomas! Moving on, why did she send you here? She seems like an okay woman, other than that she always smells like lemons. Imagine walking around smelling like fruit. You'd be snatched by a bear." The secretary shuddered. So Ms. Thomas was her name. Huh.

This secretary seems to have a... good sense of smell.

"Before I answer your question," I told her, "Can you tell me what I smell like?"

The more time I waste, the more time I get to skip out of Ms. Thomas yelling at us. Win-win.

"Hmm..." She sniffed, "I have no idea." I think I broke her smelling abilities by not having a flavor. Man, that sucks.

Great. I smell like I-have-no-idea. Best flavor ever. Bet it's limited edition.

"Now answer my question," She said.

"She sent me here because I asked her a question." Her jaw dropped.

"Seriously?" She asked, "Because you asked a QUESTION?"

No, you totally aren't supposed to ask those in school.

"Yeah," I said, "That's what I said, too, so she sent me to the principal's office for that." Thank goodness the principal wasn't there, because I really didn't feel like acting like a 'pal.'

The principal wasn't my pal and boy, and she never will be. To me, she will be forever the creepy tall lady with heels so she's EVEN TALLER. Insert shudder.

The secretary snorted. "Since the principal isn't here, I guess I'll decide how to punish you..."

I'd do anything to stay away from Ms. Thomas, thank you very much.