40.

It was strange for the world to feel back to normal. Rose didn't hear of any death eater attacks anymore, she wasn't afraid of going outside. The news was finally shifting away from Voldemort and now refocusing on other things in the Wizarding world.

Of course, there was the odd paper titled "Harry Potter; Where Is He Now?" and "Rose Evans, Does She Have Anything To Do With The Chosen One?"

She usually threw the newspapers out, she didn't need to read gossip about her and Harry.

Christmas was quickly approaching and it wasn't as fun as Rose remembered. She usually celebrated it with Lily, with everyone.

But this year it was just her and Harry. Alice and Frank were visiting his parents and Remus wasn't responding to letters.

So Rose sucked it up. She got a tree and ornaments, lights and other decorations. Harry helped her put the star on top of the tree and they laughed as they made a gingerbread house.

She took her first picture with Harry, they posed next to their destroyed house and laughed as the camera flashed and it printed the photo.

On Christmas Eve, Rose watched as Harry struggled to open the wrapping paper of his present. He giggled happily when he finally got it open, seeing a shiny new toddler quidditch broom.

The cat began playing with the wrapping paper and Harry chased him. Rose watched the small boy contently, leaving her own presents from Alice unopened.

In January, Rose hadn't heard from Remus in months. She had written multiple times and tried to arrange a visit but she had no luck.

He was stubborn. He felt lost and alone, so he stayed that way. And now he had to face all of his full moons alone again.

It was a different kind of hurt when her birthday came around. This was a day she always shared with Lily, they had never not been together on their birthday.

So Rose spent the day reminiscing. She talked to Lily's grave as if she was standing there, updating her on how Harry was doing.

And then she went back home. Alone.

***

On Harry's second birthday, she took him to see his parents in the morning, letting him say hello to mum and dad.

Neville, Alice, and Frank came to celebrate, Remus didn't respond to the invite.

They played with the little boy and after dinner, Rose brought out two cakes.

One was for Harry to smash, as he liked doing things like that, and the other was to eat.

As soon as she placed the cake in front of Harry, he dug in, placing his whole face into the icing.

Rose laughed loudly as she watched the baby play in the cake.

"Rose, your hair!" Alice exclaimed after a moment. Rose, fearing something was wrong, grabbed a piece of her red hair. When she pulled it in front of her face, she realized it was lavender.

Rose was shocked. She hadn't been able to change anything about her appearance in a year. But Harry helped her.

The small boy giggled when he saw the hair change, so Rose tried multiple different colours, making Harry and Neville giggle.