Chapter 56

We ascend even further up into the clouds, visible through a window on the left before theelevator finally comes to a stop. Romanoff and I awkwardly shuffle out of the confined space and breathe again, both of us no doubt glad to have escaped the forced proximity.

I pause, looking around, hearing the elevator doors shut behind me. We've stepped out into one of the most expensive-looking rooms I have ever seen (although that doesn't mean that much as I can only remember a handful of rooms). The space is sparsely decorated with expensive-looking furniture, and at one end of the room, there is an open second-floor landing. The walls are almost exclusively floor-to-ceiling windows, giving the impression of the room floating peacefully hundreds of meters above the bustling, noisy city below. It's exactly what I would imagine Tony Stark's flat to look like, and nothing less.

Romanoff shoots me a look, no doubt looking for any signs of recognition within me, but in my mind, I've just stepped into the space for the very first time. I try to see if there is anything that would trigger any sort of emotional reaction, but I just feel all quiet inside. Nothing.

I feel a hand rest on my right shoulder blade and softly but steadily guide me onward, further into the apartment. I comply, limply following Romanoff's guidance past a kitchen and through a few hallways until we reach a door at the end of a hallway with only a few doors on its sides. Romanoff stops me and shoots me another expectant glance. I stay patient and still, not knowing what she expects me to do. She breathes out softly and opens the door to the room, all the whilst looking at me curiously.

I step in, looking around cautiously, somehow feeling slightly on edge. The room is empty of people, thankfully. It looks like any spare bedroom would I assume if you're a multi-billionaire. There is a large bed with soft pillows, an armchair, and a huge closet, a half-open door leading to I assume an ensuite. This room, again, has huge windows which make me feel insignificant and small as I look out onto the other skyscrapers fighting against gravity.

Romanoff steps in next to me and I look at her.

"Nice." I comment, feeling like I should say something, the silence a little too thick for my liking.

"It's an improvement to being in a cell, that's for sure." She agrees, her lips turning upwards in a slight smirking smile as if the thought of me in locked up gives her great amusement.

I nod, ignoring her smirk, and go to sit down on the side of the bed, feeling kind of exhausted. My head is pounding, trying to keep up with all the new impressions I'm sure, and simply seeing the bed makes me aware of how much I wish I could just take a little nap and then figure everything out once I wake up.

"You know." Romanoff begins, extending her hands out in front of her as she walks up to stand right in front of my knees. I hold out my handcuffed hands out to her. "I am aware of what you've been through. I know what Hydra -let me finish!"
She shoots me a look and I close my mouth, having wanted to interrupt her and defend Hydra, who were only acting in my best interest. Romanoff purses her lips.

"I know what Hydra has made you believe -and forget. There is no way for me to convince you they're in the wrong because I won't descend to their torture methods to bring your memories back. Again, let me finish! Geez!"

She lets my hands go, which are now free of handcuffs. I promptly place my hands in my lap, massaging my wrists gently. Romanoff returns the black handcuffs to their original place by her hip and takes a step back, observing me.

"I know Wanda believes that she can make you remember. I'm not too sure, I mean Steve has tried with Bucky. Steve almost died trying with Bucky. And now Wanda almost died trying with you." Romanoff pauses, looking me over with a stern look.