ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴᴛᴇᴇɴ: ᴠɪʀɪᴅɪᴛʏ

【2.04】

04】

(n.) naive innocence

♡♡♡

"...And you've packed the medicine?"

"Yes, Umi. For the last time; everything is packed and ready to go." Mujika purses her lips and turns to check the bags once again. Her soft steps walk over and between bags, observing the contents of each one closely.

When she's satisfied, she stands and looks at the children, who are eating a large breakfast with Sonju in the den. She raises a hand and points slightly at each child, as if counting them in her head.

"You're missing two." She states. I hear giggling.

"No, I'm not." I raise my cloak to reveal Yvette and Jemima, who have latched onto my legs. They smile and wave at Mujika. She giggles too.

"GO! GO!" The girls shout. I groan, and waddle over to Emma and Don, who are stacking dirty dishes in a pile. They do their best to hold in laughter as I approach them, Don looks away with a grin on his face.

"H-hey (y/n), need any help?" Emma manages to finish the sentence without cracking up.

"Grab your shit, we're leaving," I whisper sharply.

"Now?"

"Yes, now. I'd like to be halfway there when we camp out tonight." She nods her head, then turns to the children. She tells them to grab their bags. I bend over so that I'm facing the girls on my legs. Emma hasn't stopped smiling.

"You heard the girl. You two, go get your stuff." They moan, dejected.

"No complaining. I won't ask twice." They stand reluctantly and walk over to their stuff. Don't smile, don't smile. I start to dress in my mask and stilts, fighting a grin as the two girls chatter excitedly. Sonju leads the children outside of the tunnels, Mujika walks over and takes my hand.

"We'll miss you here." I raise an eyebrow.

"It's not like I'm leaving forever. I'll be back in a week, maybe two at most." She looks to the side smugly.

"That's not what Sonju told me~" I smack her arm lightly, she yanks it away dramatically. I grin behind my mask. I'll miss her too. Years of living alone isn't as lonely as it may seem when you have parents to visit, now, I was the parent (not literally, of course) that would be taking care of the kids as we traveled. I try to console myself: the feelings I'm experiencing are just nerves. You'll be home in a week, nothing is going to go wrong.

The two of us walk outside of the tunnel to meet everyone else. 

"Why'd you put your mask back on?" Rossi asks. He looks slightly uncomfortable with my appearance.

"Precaution. In case we run into any other demons. You should probably work on getting used to it." He nods. Mujika leaves my side to talk to Emma, Sonju takes her place.