Provenance part 3

"I don't understand, Dean. We burned the damn thing." Sam stated as Dean pulled out of the parking lot of the auction house.

After Alison and dean had left Sarah and Sam alone, Sam found out the painting they burned was still in the auction house. As if it was never even touched.

"Yeah, thank you, captain obvious." Dean sarcastically spoke.

Alison sighed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"We just need to figure out another way to get rid of it." Dean stated.

"How? You gonna ice it to death this time?" Alison questioned.

Dean looked back at her.

"Hey, I don't need the attitude, alright?" He told her, then turned to Sam. "Any ideas?"

"Okay, all right. Well, um, in almost all the lore about haunted paintings, it's always the paintings subject that haunts them." Sam said.

"Yeah? All right, so we need to figure out everything there is to know—"

"About that creepy-ass family in that creepy-ass painting," Alison cut him off.

"Watch yourself, young lady." Dean warned her.

"What? I'm just saying it how it is." Alison stated.

"Yes, yes you are, but still." Dean said.

Sam chuckled lightly.

"What we're their names again?" Dean asked.

Sam opened his mouth to speak.

~~~

"You said the Isaiah merchant family, right?" The man asked as he set down a stack of books.

"Yeah, that's right." Sam nodded.

"I dug up every scrap of local history I could find." The man explained. "So, uh, are you boys crime buffs?" He asked them.

"Kind of. Why do you ask?" Dean asked.

"Well..." The guy trailed off as he held up a newspaper.

He pointed to a column, that was titled. "Father slaughters family, kills self."

"Yes. Yeah, that sounds about right." Dean nodded, pointing at it, as he bounced his daughter in his arms.

"The whole family was killed?" Sam asked.

"It seems this Isaiah, he slits his kids' throats, then his wife, then himself." The man explained. "Now, he was a barber by trade. Used a straight razor."

"Why'd he do it?" Sam asked.

"Well, let's look." The guy slipped the newspapers. "People who knew him described Isaiah as having a stern and harsh temperament, and controlled his family with an iron fist." He read. "Wife, two sons, adopted daughter— yeah, yeah. There were whispers that the wife was gonna take the kids and leave, which, of course, you know, in that day and age...so instead, old man Isaiah, well, he gave them all a shave." He ran his finger across his neck.

Dean chuckled, looking up at Sam who gave him a look. Alison laid her head on deans shoulder.

"Does it say what happened to the bodies?" Dean asked.

"They were all cremated." The man stated.

The two brothers glanced at each other.

"Anything else?" Sam asked the guy.

"Yeah. Actually, I found a picture of the family." The man starting looking around. "It's right here somewhere. Right. Here it is." He picked up the book and showed them the picture.