Chapter 8

"Leo, please don't hurt her!" The Lady cried as they drew close. Her worried gaze drew the Captain's attention to his sword which was still half-raised.

"My Lady, you must have misunderstood," Leyla stepped forward as he scrambled to sheath his sword. "We were just training."

She watched Leo's nostrils flare, then he nodded gruffly and turned to the Colonel. "We were training, is there a problem...Sir?"

"But..." The Lady's protest was stalled by a small movement of Alec's hand.

"Lady Isabelle told me that you were out here training, so I came to remind you that using swords without resting can be dangerous." Alec's eyes narrowed on Leo, "Dangerous acts lead to demotions. It's better to sleep, wouldn't you agree, Captain?"

Leyla watched her superior struggle to contain the curses that were no doubt ready to spew. Somehow he managed, and in the next moment he gave a curt bow and walked away. After the Captain's back blended with the darkness, Leyla became aware of the two people who were now watching her. Alec's expression was hard to read, but the Lady was obviously distraught. Her delicate fingers touched her throat as her eyes scanned Leyla's body. Was she looking for wounds?

"I'm sorry, Lady, you must have been shocked." Leyla began, picking up the discarded sheath on the ground and tucked her sword away. The hand that touched her arm was so unexpected she could only stare.

"Thank you, Lieutenant, and please, call me Isabelle," the woman said gently squeezing. Isabelle's eyes were a sky blue, the same shade as Alec's and full of kindness. "Oh my, you're drenched with sweat!"

Leyla removed herself from the woman's grasp, horrified when Isabelle pulled out a handkerchief from her sleeve and offered it to her. "My Lady, please put that away!" She shot a quick look at the still stone-like expression on Alec's face. Where did he get off looking so angry, when he was the one who caused who knew how much trouble for her? Come tomorrow, Leo would find a way to take this humiliation out on her, she was sure of it. "And my Lady, it's best for a Lady such as yourself not to walk alone with men from now on. Let your maids accompany you at all times and please stay safe."

Her mood suddenly improved, Isabelle grinned over her shoulder, "Alec, she sounds exactly like you."

He arched a brow, "Hardly."

Arrogant ass. Leyla didn't have the time nor inclination to watch the couple banter. "My lady since you are alright now, I'll take my leave."

"But how will I repay you?"

Leyla held up her hand in protest, "I can accept no thanks for doing what is right."

Isabelle's mouth fell agape and then to Leyla's utter consternation she began to laugh. "Alec, she is your double!"

The Colonel raised yet another haughty brow and Leyla had had enough. She was too exhausted to stand around being laughed at. Hooking her sword to her belt, she bowed swiftly and managed three strides in the direction of the barracks before Alec's voice stopped her.

"Didn't you just warn Isabelle not to walk alone with men, Lieutenant? Am I an exception then?"

The arrogant jerk. He obviously expected her to tell him he was an exception and in all honesty she didn't have a doubt in her mind that his honour was beyond reproach. But Leyla would rather fall into the depths of Diyu than stroke his already massive ego. Turning on her heal, she marched to Isabelle's side. "My Lady, will you permit me to escort you home?"

Isabelle looked bemused for a moment, then she looked from her to Alec and laughed. "I think the Lieutenant doesn't trust you, Alec."

The Colonel nodded, "Don't worry, I'm not offended. The Lieutenant doesn't trust anyone." He moved forward, offering Isabelle his arm. "You'll just have to content yourself with two escorts. Let's get you home, shall we cousin?"

Cousin! They were family? Of course they were! If Leyla hadn't been too busy worrying about what Captain Leo would have in store for her the next day, she would have realised Isabelle was wearing yellow; the colour of the House of Steel. She had really put her foot in it this time, but there would be no backing down now. Letting the couple walk past, she followed half a dozen steps behind, hoping it would hinder any further conversation.

It seemed to do the trick until they reached a side door into the House of Steel. The five-floored octangular mansion was connected to the inner keep through a slim corridor on the first floor. Leyla had walked past the door that lead from the keep into the House of Steel, had even seen some of the beautiful paintings lining the walls when the door was ajar, but she had never stepped foot inside the royal house. Light flooded out of the windows on the upper floors setting the outer walls a glitter.

"I know you said not to thank you," Isabelle said turning at the door, "But I'll find a way to repay you, Lieutenant." And having delivered her parting words, she rushed into the warm interior of the house in a cloud of floating silk.

"She will do as she says. Isabelle is almost as stubborn as you are," Alec said right beside her. When had he moved so close and why wasn't he following his cousin already?

"Right, well goodnight Colonel-" Her breath caught in her throat at Alec's sudden touch. He grasped her chin between his fingers, bringing his face down, close to hers. Too close. She was frozen, incapable of thought. His scent was sweet and spicy like one of those exotic flowers from the Greenlands. His free hand came up to touch the tips of her hair, his gaze taking in the unusual colour.

"Wha-what are you doing?" she managed, her breath sounding ragged.

Alec's gaze connected with hers. Then he smiled, a slow, knowing smile. "Checking something."

"Checking something?" Having regained some of her wits, Leyla pushed his hand away and took a large step back.

"You don't have to worry about Leo," His expression turned serious. "I'll make sure you don't suffer for helping my cousin."

Leyla blinked, unable to process his change of mood quickly enough to form a response.

"Now go and get some rest," Alec moved to the door, the light from the house making his eyes appear more gold than blue. "And Leyla? Thank you."

With that he was gone, leaving her to deal with her muddled thoughts alone.