Chapter nineteen

Playlist: Fever - Beyoncé

###

My eyes narrowed as I was trying to process the words that left the mouth of a man sitting in front of me. I found myself with my chest still, his words completely took my breath away. I wasn't breathing, my mouth parted a bit as if trying to catch some air. My face didn't show any emotions, my whole body was still and only my eyes blinked a few times from the dim light in the small room. But inside of me, damn, there was a whole tsunami of emotions.

Anger to confusion.

Confusion to desire.

Desire to teach him a lesson. To be the one to help him understand that there is no way he would tell me what I should do. No way he would be the winner of this bet.

I glared at Cody, telepathically warning him to think over his words, implying to take them back and leave me for the sake of every possible creature alone.

But what I got in return is a small smirk. From that simple action, I understood there is no going back. He is not the man to throw the words around. As I looked at him again I noticed mischief playing around on his face. Damn, how bad do I want to wipe that look from his face.

I have worked so hard to get myself the life that I have right now, and I'm not letting this man destroy everything I have worked so hard for.

''You want to play,'' I smiled around my drink, ''I'm in, but I'm not the one to stand with a handkerchief, wiping your tears, after I show you who is the one to create rules in here.'' I bite on my lower lip, totally satisfied with my little speech.

Every fiber in my body was telling me not to do this, not to be led astray, but I could not stop, I was filled with excitement and desire to see how miserable he would be after his defeat.

He grinned and looked me directly in the eyes, I felt a small flip in my stomach and I used all my power to ignore it.

''Doesn't matter how it plays out from here, '' He shrugged his shoulders casually, ''but It would be a shame if I wouldn't use my handkerchief tonight,'' I swear I could see how his eyes lit on fire as he finished.

''Let the game begin,'' I said coldly, challenging him.

His eyes never left mine, he might have seen my reaction to his proposition. I could sense his satisfaction with his actions and the way I react to them.

He let out a small chuckle as he leaned on the back of the chair, ''That's exactly what I expected.''

''Do not be so excited about that,'' I raised my eyebrow in admiration of his naivety, ''you still do not know what you will have to do as I play you over,'' I said and tossed chips in the middle of the table.

In return, he only wets his lips and I immediately look away from him. I need to focus on a game and not let this man affect me with those actions of his.

Cody lift a drink to his lips but before making a sip his lips started to move, ''I'm sure you will tell me.'' He held his glass as if saying a toast and drank whatever the burning liquid was in his glass.

I tried to keep my head cool, waiting for the moment to see how he reacts when I win.

After a few rounds of the game, you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. I was mesmerized by the way Cody kept his face straight throughout the game.

No jokes, no insults, no flirt...

He never said a word, while I wanted to flip the table and make him show some kind of emotion. But that's just what I had inside of me. I've learned to hold things in and show people only what they need to see. That's why my face was expressing nothing but confidence.

The oxygen in the room evaporates each time we take a deep breath. I raised my eyes to look at him as he took chips into the center of the velvet table.

I noticed how he started to shift on his chair, his hand running through his wavy hair, tucking some of it behind his ear.

Is he nervous?

A little devil inside of my head began to leap tirelessly from one place to another as if celebrating the upcoming victory.

I toss all of my chips to the center and right after that lay my cards, ''Full house.'' I winked at him, announcing my victory.

I could see how his Adam's apple started to bop but then there was...laugh?

''Looks like you are the one to hear my wish.'' Cody's face broke into a wide, self-satisfied smile as he threw his cards on the table, ''Straight flush, love.''

What the hell was that?

How is it even possible? The first thing I could think of was to make a scene because I couldn't believe what had just happened. The man I've never met in any casino just managed to trick me somehow. The worst part is, I was so sure of myself that I had absolutely no belief in him, that he would be able to beat me...

I blinked. Letting reality set in as Cody throws his hands in the air as if saying ''Oops, looks like you screwed up.''

I stared at him, thinking about how I should handle this situation, about how I should handle him...

The most important thing, of course, is to look calm as hell and make sure I'm not upset even for a bit. I have to collect my thoughts and accept my defeat with dignity.

As I cleared my throat I said, '' I can only imagine,'' I spoke slowly, savoring every word that left my mouth, ''how badly you wanted to win that even luck was on your side tonight.'' My voice was so low and I hoped it was soaked with poison so every letter in each word I've saIould penetrate and poison every cell of his body.

Every nerve ending in my body is electrified by hatred.

He nodded his head agreeing with my words, ''It's one of the perks of being me, I get pretty much what I want.'' He watched me for a few seconds before I watched a dimple pop out on his cheek.

My heart pumped harder and harder as I was waiting for the words to leave his mouth. Cody didn't make me wait so long.

''What about a handkerchief, you want me to give it to you, my love?'' His eyes were twinkling, and that's when I knew I'd walked right into a trap set by this wicked gentleman.

###

I do love the way this story is moving!

Feel free to vote and comment!