Chapter 17

Hector's face lit up, but the Book Keeper's reaction was tempered. "I can see you don't believe us, but make sure you listen well to these instructions. These are things you need to know in order to be able to come back."

"I'm listening." Leyla nodded, now itching to get this pretence over and done with.

Hector looked to his wife and she nodded, pulling out a small portrait from inside her dress pocket. "This is a likeness of Michael, it was done a few weeks ago on his ninth birthday."

Leyla took the picture and regarded the young boy curiously. His features were soft like his mothers, but his colouring was exactly the same as her fathers; black hair, bright blue eyes and pale skin.

"He fell through a ten days ago," Hector interjected. "We don't know what he has been doing since then, but he is a very smart boy so I am certain he has found a way to survive."

"He has an extraordinary mind. He will remember where the portal is and know to stay close by," the Book Keeper added with certainty.

Leyla tried to hand back the picture, but put it inside her breast pocket when the Book Keeper gestured for her to keep it. She felt a twinge of sadness for the couple. It didn't matter that Leyla didn't believe the other-worlds-fantasy, she did believe their son was missing.

"Remember, once you are through, don't panic if the portal closes and mark exactly where it was. Half a moon cycle later, it will reappear near that spot."

"Understood." Even as Leyla agreed, she began to wonder how two people whose minds were obviously not functioning correctly were powerful enough to send a messenger to the Warrior Kingdom and make offers of magical trees. Something did not sit right.

She watched the couple as they continued to describe the crossing. Their stories coordinated, but that didn't prove anything. Leyla had seen some Greenlanders convince themselves of some seriously crazy things when grief stricken. Death was too common, too expected in the Warrior Kingdom to effect Warriors in the same way as others, but perhaps Light Landers were like Greenlanders and did not know how to cope. Was Michael already dead?

"Are you ready?" the Book Keeper watched her face.

Leyla recounted the information to show them she had listened, then stood up. "Lead on."

Hector approached, withdrawing a piece of material from his belt. "Turn please."

After blindfolding her, they led her out of the room, down one set of steps and through two doors. Fifty-two steps later, the fresh air hit her face. Outside, the scent of leaves and wet grass greeted them, but once again there was no sound that indicated the presence of others. How could it be? It was still daytime, perhaps a few hours past noon judging by the strength of the sun on her skin, so where was everyone? Perhaps she hadn't been in the Light Castle after all.

After another eighty-three steps, Hector removed her blind fold. They were standing in a thick forest with no sign of the building they had been in. Leyla took a slow look around, noting the shadows that didn't belong. There were four of them; unmoving, waiting. A few paces away, between two thick trees, was a puddle of black goop.

Hector stepped forward and handed her, her bow, arrow, sword and dagger without a word.

"I hope you will not need these," The Book Keeper said, as she watched Leyla strap her sword to her belt.

Slinging her bow and arrow onto her back, Leyla bent to slip the dagger into her boot.

"It may not appear so, but we are armed," Hector warned, obviously on edge now that she had her weapons back. He obviously did not put much stock in Warrior honour.

Leyla snorted. "Other than that sword by your side, you have a dagger in your left boot and some kind of device in your right pocket, but your wife is not armed." Rising after pulling the her boot strings tight, she looked the taller man square in the eyes. "No matter how many weapons you carry, you could not defeat me, Light Lander. Not even the four archers you've placed among the trees, could shoot their arrows fast enough to stop me from killing you, if that was my intent."

"You little -" Hector took another step forward, but the Book Keeper held him back.

"There are no need for threats, Hector," The Book Keeper said to her husband, but her eyes were on Leyla. "Lieutenant Leyla has already agreed to attempt the crossing and a Warrior's word is her bond."

Hector pressed his lips together, but he nodded, then did something Leyla would never have expected. "I apologise, Lieutenant. Not for the blindfolds or precautions, however questioning your honour was out of line. It is no excuse, but I have not been able to think straight since Michael went missing."

Leyla nodded silently, unsure how to respond. She was not used to being spoken to in this manner. Nor could she begin to understand what the couple were feeling. There was no longer any doubt her her mind that their son was missing and that the couple truly believed he had fallen into another dimension.

Hector pulled a thin light bag full of small white balls from his breast pocket and popped one into his mouth before handing the rest of them to her. "A single ball contains all the nourishment you will need for a day as well as healing herbs. Take one now, you will need your energy."

With a small shrug, Leyla threw one into her mouth and was amazed to find her hunger instantly dispelled.

"It's time," the Book Keeper said, her voice anxious.

So this was it. Leyla turned to the closest tree, propped her foot on the trunk and grabbed for the lowest sturdy branch. The long piece of wood came away in her hand as she landed on the ground.

"I'm willing to jump. But if I don't fall into another dimension, I will count on you to pull me out," she said, answering the question written on the Light Lander's faces.

They seemed surprised, but nodded in affirmation.

"Lieutenant, please, find our son." the Book Keeper beseeched. "Please protect him and bring him back to us. I promise you will be rewarded."

Bloody Diyu, but the woman's desperation made Leyla feel bad.

"I'll do my best." She promised. And she would. She was going to jump into the black goo, wasn't she? Giving the far end of the branch to Hector, she moved to the edge of the puddle and looked back at the older woman. "I have your word that you will let me go when... if this does not work?"

"I promise, Warrior. I will not keep you here," the Book Keeper said firmly.

Leyla nodded then raised her boot over the puddle, trying to figure out the best way to enter the thing. The Light Landers watched her in tense silence as she contemplated. Just jump, Leyla, let's get this over with. Taking a deep breath, she grasped the branch firmly and pushed off the ground. The substance sucked at her clothes the moment the tips of her boots touched the surface. Down she went and before Leyla could release her breath, she was draw in over her head and into the dark.