Chapter 33

She couldn't spot Lady Isabelle, but Leyla was gratified to find that Delphine seemed to brighten up at the sight of the mounds of cloths at the centre of the room. The party was an informal affair, with the gathered lady's standing around the materials, 'ooing' and 'ahhing' over the patterns and embroidery.

It didn't take long for Princess Mira, who was holding court beside the piled materials, to summon them.

"I'm glad you could make it, Lady Alessa and Lady Delphine." she said as they approached.

"We are very happy to be here, your Highness," Delphine tipped her head forward, raising her fingers to her forehead.

"You are?" Princess Mira brushed invisible dust from the pink silk on her shoulder. "I can't see why. These materials will be beyond you surely, since you people from the Land of Light only wear that awful, boring white."

Some of the ladies present gasped at the obvious condescension in the Princess's tone, while others hid their smiles. Leyla couldn't have cared less about the petty barb, but the look of hurt on Delphine's face sparked her anger.

"Boring?" Leyla raised her brows as she scanned the sea of blonde haired, blue eyed faces. They were all dressed in beautiful silks, their necks and wrists adorned with gems. Cupping her palm, Leyla raised her hand. "The light around us is white, is it not?"

Some ladies nodded, while others looked at her with unimpressed expressions.

"It appears white, but within it you will find every colour imaginable."

Princess Mira gave a graceless snort, "What are you talking about?"

Leyla approached a Lady from the House of Iron who she remembered had a reputation for being kind. "May I?" She asked, pointing at the royal's diamond ring. The woman slipped it off her finger and gave it to Leyla with curious eyes. "White has no artfice and no delusions," Leyla walked to the closest window and held the rock up to the bright sunshine. Several women gasped at the brilliant rainbow reflections that appeared across the room. "White has no desire to compete." She returned the ring to its owner, reciting the words Michael had spoken years ago.

"We wear white, to remind ourselves that we possess all colours within ourselves and that what is most precious about us is inside." She turned to Princess Rina now, "But worry not, your Highness. People from the Land of Light are still capable of appreciating the beauty of your new materials."

The Princess's nostrils flared with indignation, but she did not speak. She was still trying to come up with a comeback when a voice came from the direction of the main door: "Is there any white material in the pile? I suddenly have a desire to wear white."

Now that the silence had been broken, several other royals spoke out in agreement, many laughing as they lunged themselves at the mountain of discarded cloths. Leyla stepped back as the women flung a rainbow of colours over their heads as they searched for white. Lady Delphine laughed along with the other ladies, joining in the fray. Satisfied that her companion was no longer uncomfortable, Leyla turned away from the madness to search for Lady Isabelle once more.

She didn't have to look for long. Arriving late to the party, Lady Isabelle stepped through the carved doors of the receiving chamber dressed in a flowing pale yellow gown. Her face flushed from her evident rush, she turned back to see if her companion was following and she was. There, only a few steps behind the Lady was a young girl.

Tia. Leyla's heart clenched at the sight of the pretty little girl, her hair done up with pink flowers. She was wearing a yellow dress, a similar tone to Isabelle's, and seemed to be carrying the Lady's purse. Tia looked so very different, Leyla realised. It wasn't only the dress, it was the way she held her head high, the way she smiled. She looked healthier too, her previously sunken cheeks now fuller and rosy.

Leyla stepped to the side to avoid some flying orange material thrown in the revelry behind her, but her eyes never left Tia. The girl laughed as a piece of turquoise silk landed on her head. It was a beautiful, carefree sound.

"Are you alright?" Delphine whispered at Leyla's shoulder.

She was more than alright. After years of worrying about the little girl, her heart was finally at peace. Tia was not only being well looked after, she was happy! "We can go now."

"Of course," Delphine stepped aside, waiting to follow.

There was no protocol to leaving a dress party, so they managed to avoid having another confrontation with the Princess as they made their way out of the chamber. At the door, she turned, her eyes seeking out Tia one last time. The girl had gotten hold of some ribbons and was spinning around Isabelle, her eyes alight with life. Noticing Leyla's gaze, Isabelle caught her eye. For a moment, they looked at each other, one curious the other full of gratitude.

Thank you, Leyla thought as she smiled at royal lady. Then she turned and walked away.

"Consort," Delphine spoke in Light language, casting a sideways glance at the guards who had been waiting to take them back to their rooms. "May I ask how you knew all of that...about white, I mean?"

"I asked you not to call me that, Delphine." Leyla took a deep breath, still revelling in the joy of having seen Tia so happy. "As for your question, Michael told me."

"The Curator is wise," the girl nodded as she followed the guard in front of them. "But I'm not sure if he will be pleased that you saw fit to give the Warriors so much information about our clothing traditions."

It had never occurred to Leyla to think in such terms. Had she really given too much away? "I just spoke about the colour of Light people's outfits. Surely that is not breaking the secrecy rule?"

"I am not sure, but for such a minor infraction, no one would dare to judge the Consort of the Prorex." Delphine said seriously. "Nevertheless, perhaps next time..."

"I understand," Leyla assured her. She had let her annoyance get the best of her and made a blunder. She wouldn't do so again, not when her mistakes could reflect badly on both Delphine and Michael.

They were almost at the stairs, when a familiar sound vibrated in her ears. Instinct kicked in and she stretched out, grabbing Delphine by the shoulders and yanking backwards. An arrow lodged itself into the wall, a swords length from where the girl had been standing. Their guards stared at the weapon in shock. "Where are your heads? Cover the Lady, now!" Leyla stormed. Recognising the note of command, the soldiers moved to stand in front of the pale Delphine.

It had to be a stray arrow from the quad. Sure, these types of mistakes were not impossible, but they were completely unacceptable! Furious, Leyla took three steps and peered over the banister, looking to find the idiot that made such a colossal error.

Her eyes were immediately draw to the man in the middle of the training pit. Legs shoulder width apart, a bow loose in his hand, Alec was looking straight at her with knowing eyes.