Chapter 43

The preparations were made and the hunting party left for Delhi. From there Jalal issued the proclamation of his absolute sovereignty. Bairam Khan was shocked when the proclamation reached Agra. He wondered whether to react or wait. Finally, he decided to wait for a formal communication from Jalal. He didn't have to wait long for that. Jalal invited him to the court of Delhi. There he should be received with great honors, if he would accept Jalal's decision benevolently. Bairam Khan was dumbprinted. The lad couldn't have arranged all of this himself!

"Maham Anga!" he exclaimed and clenched his fists. Only she could have had her hands in it! The lad couldn't have arranged all of this himself! It was not for nothing that she traveled with the hunting party. Everything was just an excuse! He sank down on a stool and buried his face in his hands. His worst fears had come true! That meant nothing more than that Jalal had completely taken over the reins! He was completely deprived of his power. All his plans were failed! He looked at the situation from all sides and concluded that it would be futile to argue with Jalal in his defense. The web tightened around him inexorably. He decided to escape the net.

"Khanum!" He called to his wife.

"Ji Bairam!"

"Prepare for our departure. Pack the essentials and take Salima Begum, Rahim and some maids with you. We'll be leaving tomorrow morning!"

"Khan! Where are we going so suddenly? And why?"

"It is better if you know as little about it as possible. Prepare everything! We will travel to Sirhind! There I will leave you in the fort. You are safe there."

He himself prepared his troop of loyals to leave the next day as well.

After Bairam Khan turned down Jalal's offer to come to Delhi and as it became public that he wanted to escape to the Punjab, Jalal began to gather his troops. Pir Mohammed, Shams-ud-Din Mohammed and Bahadur Khan blocked Bairam Khan's way to Lahore with their troops. Jalal sent another letter to Bairam Khan in which he again assured him that he would be welcomed benevolently when he came to court. Bairam Khan was touched by Jalal's sincerity and wanted to accept the offer. His loyals advised against it, however. They suspected a trap. They suspected that the letter was written by Maham Anga, who could not wait to destroy him. In the end he believed his advisors and concluded that his return to court would result in disaster. In response he sent Jalal his insignia of office, the implication being, that he was no more a servant of the emperor. Bairam Khan explained to his loyals that he had no choice but to fight. In the first skirmishes with Shams-ud-Din, he was unexpectedly successful and was encouraged by that success. He announced grandly that the Punjab would fall into his lap like a ripe plum. He did the math without Pir Mohammed!. His former confidante struck at him with all his might and demolished Bairam Khan's troop. The latter fled. Pir Mohammed took up the chase. But he escaped and Bairam Khan went into hiding in the Siwalik Hills.

Jalal was sorry that fate did not show the right path to his Khan Baba. He didn't want to slam the door in his face. It bothered him immensely that his Khan Baba had abused his trust. His heart hardened once more. These considerations haunted him for a few days. Finally he sent him another letter. He offered him again to receive him with honor if he would surrender unconditionally. Bairam Khan was still suspicious. He offered, only to surrender if Mun 'im Khan would be sent to him and accompany him to court. Jalal didn't hesitate to agree. Bairam Khan appeared in front of the courtyard. He had undone his turban and tied it around his neck. He did the prostration of shame and contrition. He humbly rested his head on Jalal's feet and wept loudly.

"Shahenshah! Forgive an old man. Forgive your Khan Baba for his unhappy behavior."

"You be forgiven Khan Baba! Stand up!" Jalal said calmly.