Prologue

Sneha slowly looked at her reflection in the mirror. Her palms were sweating profusely, something that always happened whenever she was scared. She was decorated with diamonds and gold ornaments that matched perfectly with her red-coloured wedding dress. Today was the most important day of her life. She was getting married into one of the most influential families of Mumbai. But, she wasn't happy. She was only terrified.

She touched her nose-ring with trembling fingers. It was beautiful but right now, she just wanted to rip it off. She didn't want this. She didn't want to get married to him.

At that instance, a few of her cousins entered her room and announced the arrival of the baraat (Groom and his people). If anything, it made her even more scared. Her resolution to run away from the premises increased. She bit her lower lip profusely as she tried to calm her breathing down.

"Come, didi (elder sister). See, jijaji (sister's husband) has arrived and he looks so dashing!" One of her cousins said as they looked at the baraat from the window of their room which was on the first floor. They did not know the truth. No one apart from her parents and sister knew what kind of man that dashing man is, she thought bitterly. They mumbled something amongst themselves and then ran out of the room while laughing and giggling among themselves, leaving her alone again. She wanted to smile like them too. But, it seemed like a mirage now. She would never be able to smile again if she married him, she knew.

Slowly and carefully, she stood and lifted her dress slightly up so that she could walk towards the window. Looking down, she saw a huge crowd. Everyone in his family and many of his friends was present. She could recognize some faces. All were dancing, laughing, and taking selfies. Her eyes travelled to one man in particular. Her soon-to-be husband. She gulped in fear when she saw him. Indeed he looked quite handsome in the traditional attire while he sat on the horse, as the custom demanded from the groom. She saw him laughing heartily at his friend's comment as they approached closer in the direction of the marriage hall. He appeared happy. He was happy.

"I hate you." She whispered. Her hatred was clearly projected towards her groom. How could he be happy after making her life miserable!

At that instance, she saw him taking his mobile phone out of his pocket and tap on it. After few seconds, she heard her phone ring. Looking at her phone's screen, she sighed. It was him. He was calling her. Wasn't he satisfied after seeing her photo in the wedding dress...all decorated...for him? She wondered.

She did not pick the call. She couldn't listen to his voice...his deep manly voice that always instilled fear in her.

She noticed how he narrowed his brows for a while before keeping his phone back in his pocket and engaging himself in his friends' conversation.

He stepped on the ground elegantly and proceeded towards the main gate of the hall. Her younger sister, Priya along with other cousins stood there to welcome the groom's family. She saw him smile warmly at Priya while her sister kept her gaze on the floor while holding a plate full of sweets, flowers, and colour. She felt bad for her sister. It was because of her that Priya and her parents had to see this day.

Her sister welcomed him traditionally and threw some flowers on him gently. Everyone in the groom's family cheered. She saw him saying something to her sister, but, in response, she only shook her head negatively. His face fell a little. But, then, he gestured to one of his guards. The guard brought an envelope and a velvet box. He then forced the items into her sister's hands. She understood what it was. He was giving his sister-in-law cash and jewellery, according to the custom.

The groom's family and friends entered the hall and the exterior was vacant again. Perfect opportunity for her to run away.

After five minutes, her sister entered her room.