The Halfway House || .002

It had been a little over seven months since Sergio and Andrés showed up at her apartment that night. They spent the night catching up on each other's lives, but as morning approached, she forgot that her fiancé was getting off work. When he arrived home, he found the three of them in the dining area. Despite his boiling anger at the thought of the two men being alone with her in the apartment, Martin's fake personality had won over. He had issues with jealousy and control, and he treated Ava no better than a piece of gum on the sidewalk at times. Sergio and Andrés were quick to notice that the persona was fake, it was evident to both of them. When the two men left, Ava had a tough morning as she spent the entire day arguing with him because she had not informed him about the two men in the apartment. Martin was filled with rage when he found out that it was Andres who had been in the apartment after all these years. They had thought they had finally gotten rid of Andres and moved on from him, but he kept coming back. Every time he came back, he dragged Ava down with him, causing more trouble and distress for her and especially, their relationship.

        At first, she was skeptical of the plan. However, Sergio was able to gradually regain her trust as he had done before. He explained and demonstrated to her how joining the heist would not only benefit her but the entire country as well. Though it required some convincing, Ava eventually sided with him. The only condition was that Martin had to go with them. Although the Professor didn't have a high opinion of Martin, he realized that he needed Ava's help for the heist, so he agreed to include them both. Martin and Ava were the first ones to be recruited, and they became additional members of the heist crew. 

            Ava stood gazing at her reflection in the mirror, letting out a sigh of frustration. She was dressed in a white sleeveless top that barely covered her navel, paired with black leggings. On her feet, she had black pumps and she had tucked the locket she always wore into the top of her shirt. A group of people were sneaking out to attend a festival, and they were all trying to convince Ava to come with them. However, just as Nairobi rushed into the room, followed by Tokyo, Ava had a sudden change of heart. She was exhausted. They had woken up early that day, and she had only slept for a couple of hours the night before. Lately, Martin and she had been arguing a lot, and it was taking a toll on her sleep schedule.

           "You all go. I'm probably going to get an early night's sleep." Ava said proudly, pulling her hair out of the bun and letting her brown locks fall below her shoulders.

          "Booo," Tokyo whined the word, alcohol already on her breath.

          "You're going to sleep at," Nairobi looked down at the watch on her arm but then the smirk on her lips just pulled together, "eleven pm?"

           Ava smiled, but it was clear it was forced. Over the last few months, she had grown close to both Nairobi and Tokyo, the women in the house. Nairobi and Ava shared a kind heart, while Tokyo and Ava's spirits aligned in their wildness and short-tempered natures. As Martin and Denver entered the room, dressed for the festival, Ava's attention was drawn to them.

         "She's staying," Tokyo spoke to the two men, and Martin's brows furrowed. They'd planned to go to the festival together, but Ava had a last-minute change of heart.

     "I'm still going," Martin exclaimed, avoiding eye contact with Ava. She smiled at him, hoping to persuade him to agree with her. She was desperate for his cooperation and was willing to say anything to make him see her point of view.

           Ava was completely okay with Martin still going to the festival. Although, if roles were reversed, she knew she wouldn't be going if he didn't want to. Him going just meant that she would have some alone time and privacy. She didn't get much of that while staying with a group of criminals. She stood up from the bed just as everyone scurried out of the room in excitement, ready to leave even under the strict orders of the Professor telling them not to. Ava had complete respect for Sergio. She recognized his unique motivation and admired his intellect and passion for the heist, feeling privileged to work for him.

         After removing her high heels, Ava left the room and walked towards the kitchen to get a bottle of rum. As she reached for it, she sensed a presence behind her and turned around to see Berlin looming over her. He snatched the bottle of rum from the top of the counter and gave her a sly smile before placing it back on the counter. Ava thanked him quietly but realized she needed a glass, so she turned to the side to grab one and filled it almost to the brim.

         "Where's your husband?" Berlin asked, the words coming out a bit more hostile than they should've. Ava's eyes wandered around the kitchen momentarily before she looked at the male that edged a little too close to her.

          "Fiancé." Ava corrected him, but Berlin's shoulders came up in a shrug. "You know where he is. Why are you asking?"

         "He's not following you around like a lost puppy." Berlin and Martin had a strained relationship due to Martin's envy towards the older male's past with Ava. You're dressed up," he pointed out, motioning toward Ava's seductive outfit, "I thought you were going with the rest of them."

          "I changed my mind," Ava said, taking a long and strong chug of the drink in her hand. She was aware deep down that being alone in the same room with him was not a good idea. They were a dangerous combination, unable to resist each other, yet their relationships never lasted. Inevitably, it always ended up hurting them both in the end. "And why didn't you go Berlin?" She used his city name purposely, trying to get in the habit of saying only that name. Nobody, except for Martin and the Professor, knew they had met before the heist.

         "I don't have time for children's games. Besides, I'd much rather be here with you." As her gaze met his, Ava felt a familiar tug in her stomach. When they were children, he had this effect on her, but now it was different. It wasn't just a desire for his attention; she longed for his touch and found herself daydreaming about him in bed. The thing was, he already knew. He noticed the way she looked at him, just as she had always looked at him.

         Ava decided to play a game of teasing with Andrés. She put down the glass on the counter and fixed her gaze on him, slowly moving down to his lips, knowing he'd notice. "That's why I didn't go," she said as she stepped closer to him, leaving barely any space between them. However, she had no intention of doing anything more than teasing him. She looked up at him and used his real name, "Andrés," as she met his dark gaze once again.

     "Ava," he matched her energy but struggled to resist the desire to lean in, especially with someone who knew him so well.

        "I have to go to bed," she said, sensing where this was leading if she didn't control her desires. She took a step back, heading towards her room, but he grabbed her arm. Her stomach churned, but she resisted the temptation to give in to him completely. Her heart was racing at full speed. She turned to face him, his grip still tight on her arm. "Goodnight, Andrés." He reluctantly let go of her arm, and she let it fall to her side. Berlin gazed at her with a tinge of pain in his eyes, but she immediately averted her eyes, overwhelmed with guilt. She made her way back to her room, hoping to catch some sleep, but thoughts of Berlin kept flooding her mind. Thoughts of touching him, holding him, and kissing him. She harbored a secret that she dare not reveal for fear of creating chaos within the group.