4. DOG ON THE LOOSE

In spite of it being quiet and calm in the café, Jimin is unable to focus. The tip of his pen balances against the notebook played out along the table but nothing comes out. The only thing he can really think of is the money Jeongguk gave him that's sitting in his dresser at his sorry excuse of an apartment, and the man himself.

That night at the club, he had Jimin pinned down in a moment of weakness. The wad of cash felt so surreal weighing down his apron that he realized in the moment, he really had no control over his body or the choices that it decided to make for him. A frustrated sigh leaves his lips and he places his pen down, resting his chin in his palm. His attention redirects to the people passing by just outside of the window.

This is something that he does often, wondering just exactly what their lives are like. Are they like his own? Do they struggle financially or are they living comfortably with their dream jobs? Who are they on the phone with and why? The possibilities are endless, thus his daydreaming can usually be endless. However the sound of something landing against the table pulls him from his thoughts.

Jimin whips his head over, looking at the drink that Taehyung had ordered for him. The violet-haired boy takes a seat on the other side of the booth, rounding his own plastic cup with his slim hands. It looks like a strawberry banana smoothie, topped with whipped cream. A drink quintessential to the kind of person he is.

"You study too hard, Min," he points out, wrapping his lips around his straw to take a sip.

"I have no choice." Jimin reaches for his own drink, a simple iced coffee, and nestles it between his own small hands. "Everything depends on me and everything is connected in one way or another. I need to study to get good grades so I can graduate and I need a job so I can pay for the schooling that I'm getting."

Taehyung frowns, moving his straw around. "It's a vicious cycle," he adds. "That's why I'm not going to school. I make enough off of my paychecks and tips to get by and the place I live at is really small but it's enough for me. You make a lot from tips too, don't you?" His big eyes look up to meet Jimin's.

The latter curls his lips in, moving his fingers over his drink. He thinks about the money Jeongguk gave him. "Not enough," he says, hoping that Taehyung won't pry. He isn't very good at lying.

Thankfully, the boy just hums. He tucks some of his light purple hair behind his ear, looking as though there's another question balancing on his tongue, waiting to be asked, but he's hesitant. They're both extremely transparent but in their own specific way which is why there are typically no secrets.

"I saw Ryung at the club the other night and you guys were talking. Why was he there?" Taehyung questions.

Jimin's shoulders lift in a small shrug. "He's back on his shit. He cheated by accident and he wants me to forgive him. He's doing an extremely good job at earning it considering the last thing he told me was that the only thing I'm good for is my pretty face and fuckable body. I don't know what I ever saw in him."

Taehyung frowns, nibbling on his bottom lip. "You saw comfort when you were vulnerable, Min. He took advantage of the fact that your parents passed away. He was always a piece of shit to you but you didn't really see it," he murmurs, wary.

As much as Jimin wants to believe that Taehyung is lying, he knows that he's telling the truth. It's just a hard pill to swallow. He used to be so naive and gullible to the point that any attention, whether regarding who he was as a person or simply just his body, was good. Ever since being cheated on, he's toughened up but as a result, he's also gotten more closed off and the only person he truly trusts is Taehyung.

But the only good value he also believes he possesses is his body.

"I know I didn't," he finally replies, crossing his arms over the table. "He fucked me up big time. You know that's why I don't let anyone in easily. I'm going to grow old and be alone for the rest of my life."