76. hypocrites & agreements

NICOLAS WAS ALMOST having a heart attack as Claudia neared him in the library a few days after she had found him and Regulus in a closet together

"Hello," she said, and then she, weirdly enough, sat down on the chair next to him. "We need to talk."

"Not here," said Nicolas as he looked around the library, where plenty of students sat.

"Right," said Claudia as she stood up, took ahold of Nicolas' sleeve and dragged him all the way into a deserted hallway, considering curfew was nearing and most students were back in their separate dormitories.

"So-"

"I know what you're going to say, Claudia," Nicolas interrupted. "And it's perfectly reasonable of you to react this way."

"Uh...what?" Claudia said confusedly. "What did you think I was going to say?"

"That I'm a hypocrite for telling you to stay away from people who your father and the rest of us wouldn't accept despite the fact that I am also doing something they would have my head for."

"Doing something?" Claudia snorted. "Geez, I know you're doing him but there's no need to objectify him like that-"

"That's not what I meant," Nicolas said with an unusual tint of amusement in his eyes. "I'm sorry, Claudia."

"You're what?" She said as she pretended as if she didn't hear. "Come again?"

"I'm sorry."

"Huh?"

"I'm sorry, alright," Nicolas said as he rolled his eyes. "Don't make me say it again."

Claudia chuckled a little again before her eyes narrowed slightly, "I wasn't going to tell you that you're a hypocrite."

"You weren't?"

"No, I wasn't. But you've got a point there, brother. You really were a hypocrite."

"I know."

"But the real reason I came to speak to you is because I need to threaten you a bit."

"Uh, okay?"

"If you hurt Regulus I will most certainly give you hell," she said sternly. "Like, actual hell. You will regret you were ever born."

"Oh, okay," said Nicolas with an intake of breath. "I won't hurt him."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"You are aware that he's two years younger than you, right?"

"Of course."

"You have to be responsible, Nicolas," Claudia pointed out. "You can't take advantage of him or treat him as if he is your toy-"

"I'm not and I won't, I promise," Nicolas assured.

"Well then," Claudia nodded. "I guess we're done here."