The Night Before || .003

Ava was observant but remained quiet as everyone chatted during dinner. The moment they had been working tirelessly for was finally within reach. She could almost smell the new wealth they would acquire. The big heist was scheduled for the next day. If everything went according to plan in the next two weeks, they would become millionaires. Although they would be criminals, they would at least be free. They had planned to go to bed early so that they would wake up early enough to get a head start on their plan. They had reviewed the plan repeatedly, day after day, and tomorrow they were going to execute it. Even if a single thing went off track, the entire plan could fall apart. It was crucial that everyone was on the same page, and Ava was determined to ensure that they were. Ava's gaze briefly landed on Berlin, but her stare was more intense than she intended. Berlin noticed and smirked in amusement. Feeling self-conscious, Ava shifted her focus to the plate of food in front of her. She took a few more bites before she stood from the table, tossing it out to the trash. This caused a few others at the table to watch her. Martin had his eyes pinned on her, Tokyo watched, and purposely Berlin held a stare on her. Ava didn't have much of an appetite. She was nervous, even after all of the planning and strategizing with the Professor. She wandered back over to the table and took her seat back beside Martin who was on her left side and of course, Berlin who had sat to the right of her. The Professor poured a few shots into the empty glasses at the table, and his eyes went to each member, one by one.

          "I just want to thank you all for putting your trust in me as I put my trust in you all," Sergio spoke. "Morning's going to come by quicker than you'd think, and you're going to get inside of the Mint. And you will get out. We just have to follow the plan." Sergio was proud of the plan. He had trust and belief that it was going to work, and he talked so confidently that it made everyone put their trust in him. Ava believed him when he said they were going to get out. She was going to stick to the plan, and she would be damned if she let someone risk it in even the slightest.

       "To the Professor!" Denver almost shouted the words as he raised his open beer in salute.

        "Our Guardian Angel," Tokyo mumbled the words quieter, saluting the Professor alongside Denver. "And of course, the money." They all had a funny grin on their faces as they raised their glasses in cahoots, all praying silently that the plan wouldn't be jeopardized in any way. There were a few obvious weaknesses within the group. Tokyo and Rio were falling more in love with each other as the days went by, Denver and Moscow were literal father and son. It couldn't get more personal than that. And personal led to a lot of mistakes. It led to sacrificing your own life and your identity for the person that you love. Ava had developed close relationships with everyone in the group, but her bond with Sergio and Andrés was particularly special. It wasn't until they showed up at her doorstep one night that she realized just how much these two men meant to her. However, she couldn't ignore the conflicting emotions she felt towards Andrés. They were similar to the feelings she had when she was younger, yet different in many ways. She couldn't help but recall her thirteenth birthday, which stood out to her the most.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

         "They're not coming if they're not already here, darling. You have all of your other friends here. Go play with them." Ava's mother, Serena, tried to coax the young girl into playing with girls her own age. She was eagerly waiting for the two boys who lived next door to arrive at her birthday party. She had invited them over for a week and was excited to celebrate with them. However, they did not show up, which was unusual as they were good friends and always kept their promises. She felt worried and wondered why they were not there.

      " Just five more minutes." Young Ava had done up her hair into a ponytail full of curls. She wore a light shimmery lip-gloss, and her mom covered her eyelids in a bright blue, a blue that if she looked at as an adult she would've cringed.