September First

I dragged my trunk behind me as I followed my father through the crowds of King's Cross, knowing better than to fall behind, to make him have to slow down for me. With my free hand, I laced my fingers through the strap of my purse where my sweater and robe were folded tightly next to my wallet and my wand. We approached the barrier to the platform where I knew we would say our goodbyes. Father never went through with us, although I never minded. This was my third year going back to Hogwarts. My first without Tommy.

I slowed as we neared the bricks and looked up at my father, setting my trunk on the stone floor in preparation for our goodbye hug which he insisted on every year. Any other year I would hardly notice this interaction, so focused on getting to the train that would take me away, back to where I was rarely ever anything but happy. Any other year, Tommy and I would have scampered past the bricks before any of the Muggles could have noticed our bodies disappearing through solid rock and not thinking about our father for months.

I felt his arms wrap around my back and I stood perfectly still, not wanting him to feel the shudder as I waited for our embrace to end. When he pulled back, he gestured for me to grab my things and gave me a straight smile.

"Be good. I know you will."

I nodded and returned his smile, hoping he didn't notice my hurry to gather my things and crossed to the brick wall in less than 5 steps, watching the world flitter around my eyes. I smiled at the attendants as I walked towards the nearest entrance to the train, only feeling the tears drip down my face as my hand reached for the railing. I had never done this train ride without Tommy. He was a year above me, this would have been his fourth. We always sat together, usually with his friends, but I was thankful that he let me tag along.

Most of the students remained outside, exchanging heartfelt goodbyes with their loved ones and excited greetings with their old friends, showing off new pets and telling stories from their summers. I had my pick of the cabins, but I continued down the hall until I reached the one Tommy's friends had always sat in before stopping at the room in front of theirs. They would want to sit in their own cabin, who was I to ruin that for them? They didn't want Tommy's sad younger sister ruining their trip. They missed him too.

I slid the thin door open and threw my trunk into the overhead before settling into the seat nearest the window and letting myself watch the last of the students out with their families, a soft smile coming to my face without my notice. For a moment, I let myself wonder what it would be like to have my mum bring me and Tommy here every fall, to give us goodbye hugs and cry tears for how badly she would miss us.

I shook my head hard and pulled the blinds down on the window, breaking me from my trance for good. There would have been no hugs, and definitely no tears. It was because of her that Tommy was gone. If she had stayed, if she had even thought about taking us with her, wherever she went, Tommy would be next to me right now.

My attention was pulled again as the door slid open allowing three students to enter. I recognized them immediately, although none as much as the last boy. The unruly black hair almost covering his scar. I had been in many classes over the years with Harry and his friends. Hermione and I studied together last year for Charms nearing exams, however I didn't think I had ever spoken more than three words to the boys.

"Cassidy! How are you?" Hermione's face lit up as she rushed to me for a hug. "You don't mind if we join you? Everything is nearly full, besides one compartment with a sleeping teacher. I assume he's a teacher, if not, Hogwarts is about to have a homeless problem."

"Yeah, of course! It's good to see you." I shot her a smile and turned to the boys as Harry held a hand out to me.

"I'm Harry."