28| Hey Kiddos

A S T R A E A

9 years ago.....

It had been three weeks since we ran away from John and Audrey's house. The first two weeks were the hardest since we had nowhere to go and had to sleep on the streets. We were homeless and broke, we had no money, no home. Nothing but each other.

We had to steal food or search in the garbage to find anything to eat. Sometimes, this elderly couple took pity on us and gave us a blanket and some food to get us through the week.

Ezekiel found a...job if you could call it that. He has been street-fighting. I know it is illegal and dangerous, I am not naive. I also know that it is the only way for him to financially support us since no one wants to employ a bunch of eight years old. Zeke is the oldest, he is thirteen hence he feels responsible for us. Elias hasn't uttered a word since everything happened a few weeks ago. Ares and Atlas are constantly being paranoid about everything. I have been flinching every time someone touches me. Zeke hasn't slept in days since he wants to always make sure we are okay.

We were barely surviving

This week we have been staying at a small motel since Zeke has gained enough money.

"Lilo, are you okay?" I asked my brother concerned after seeing his frozen figure

"I-I um, yeah. I am fine" he assured me making me gasp in shock since it was the first time in three weeks since he had talked

"I know, your not Lilo. It is okay not to be okay, you know" I said and then surprised both of us by hugging him. Since I was raped, I hate physical contact with anyone. It was the first time I hugged someone since that day.

Elias first tensed but then relaxed into my embrace "thank you, I love you sissy" he muttered

"I love you too"

We pushed apart when the bedroom's door burst open, my twin brothers came in "come on, it's time to go" Ares informed us, we got up and followed them

We are going with Zeke to a street fight he had tonight. He wasn't fond of the idea of having us there since it was dangerous but we convinced him to let us go. I didn't like the idea of my brother fighting but he had to do it in order for us to survive.

The place we were going to was a warehouse in a small town in Pittsburg. Tonight, was a rainy and cold night, I was glad that we were staying at a motel and not on the street because we would have gotten sick.

We arrived at the big, windowless subterranean warehouse, the scent of alcohol and weed filling the air. The busy crowd, the drunk filthy gangster everywhere

"Hey, guys. Are you ready Zeke?" a voice said from behind us we turned around and saw Derek—Zeke's trainer and manager.

"Yeah, just give me a minute," My brothers said earning a nod from Derek

"You will stay here, don't go anywhere, and don't talk to anyone. Okay?" Zeke told us

"Okay" I smiled at him and my other brother nod in agreement, I kissed his cheek and let him go.

My oldest brother walks in the ring looking fearless. I immediately buried my head in Ares' chest not wanting to witness the fight. I don't like violence and I certainly don't like the idea of my brother getting hurt. I hate seeing Zeke's state after a fight, he would be all bloody and bruised.

The scream of encouragement, the applauds, and the cheers of the public was filling the room. All this loud noise made me flinch. Turning my head a bit, I looked at the crowd, from the corner of my eyes, I noticed a man who seem in his forties gaming at us curiously, I didn't pay him any attention, I stayed still and waited until the fight is over so we can go back to the motel.