chapter 26 | unity

JASMIN MARTINEZ

.•°•.•°•.•°•.

"Rematch?"

"Is that a challenge?" He said the exact words he said years before. Just without one word.

"Yes," I replied, confidently this time around.

I bent down and picked up the ball. I bounce pass the ball to Chase. He didn't have a shirt on, displaying his tattooed body. He had black basketball shorts hanging low and his sweat dripping off his forehead.

He was about to open his mouth to ask why I'm here but I cut him off, "Let's play first." I insisted.

He looked at me skeptically for a minute as he dribbled the ball. "You should take your heels off." He said, noticing my choice of shoes. I looked at him, and he sighed coming towards me. He squatted down and took my heel in his hands. He took it off before repeating the process for my other foot.

He got up and put the heels near the sideline. He brought his white hoodie and extended his arm towards me. I raised my eyebrows in question.

"Tie it around your waist." I looked down to realize I was wearing a dress and if I decide to jump or shoot my ass would fly out.

I really should've thought about what I was wearing. To be fair, I didn't know I would end up on a basketball court. Fucking Connor.

I didn't reply. Chase asked me through his eyes if he can and I nodded. Chase put the hoodie around my waist before tying it. I looked to the side to see Connor and I flipped him off. He fucking knew and didn't inform me. He started laughing and I rolled my eyes.

"Thank you." He nodded.

I took off Xavier's leather jacket only because I didn't want the gun to go flying and spilling all my beans. I put it near my heels. Chase passed me the ball, and I started dribbling.

He came closer to me to defend but I already shot the ball. The ball hit the rim and bounced off. "Rigged ass hoop." I blamed.

"Giving up already?"

"Fuck no." I examined. He dribbled the ball between his legs as I went closer to him to defend him. I tried to get the ball from him but obviously, he's much more skilled than I am.

This was giving me flashbacks to PE class when we both were defending each other. I smiled as those memories came into my head. I looked back at him and I knew he knows what was on my mind. "Do it, baby." We both said simultaneously. A little smile crawled onto my face and almost instantly Chase's lip curved.

He looked— Shut the fuck up, Jasmin.

Five years ago, the sun was setting as we played basketball and now five years later the sun is rising. We were playing in a different light.

I took the ball he was dribbling and dribbled it to the other side. He was still standing while I threw the ball and it went in. My jaw dropped as I couldn't believe myself it actually went in and I turned around to see Chase watching me. "Did you see that?" I asked, he nodded. "Fuck, I'm so good." I complimented myself.

"Watch out." He warned.

I flipped him off, not falling for his tricks. And, that backfired when the ball hit me in the head. "Aw, fuck!"

"I told you."

"Oh yeah? Could've been more clear with that."

"I could've, couldn't I?"