Conversations Over Dinner

It was now completely dark out, and Paris clung to my side, heat radiating off of him in the frigid air. Snowflakes were falling as Paris and I walked out of the Bazaar, the streets having completely transformed withins the few hours we were in the store. They were now barren, the lantern and stalls long gone, lit by eerie lamplight with plenty of dark spots in between. My powers hadn't fully rejuvenated yet, but I still used them to sense if any creature was prowling between these blind spots, waiting to pounce on two magic-filled, premature witches. I let out a silent sigh when I felt nothing but darkness.

"Let's find an inn to stay in" Paris said. I nodded in agreement. I had originally planned to drive back, but I was exhausted, and Paris had been driving for hours before. We needed rest, and pairing sleep-deprivation with the icy roads and our unstable car was a recipe for disaster. Knowing Paris and I's delightful talent of causing disaster, I'd prefer it if we didn't test our luck tonight.

"Somewhere far from New Salem. We need to stay in the market areas, or else we'll risk being spotted. I don't need it being reported that we were prowling about the black market" I told him. He looked extremely displeased, his mouth pursed.

"We can't sleep here. It's dangerous" He told me nervously, glancing about us. Spoiled little classist.

"Well, it's a good thing we have a strong, courageous hero to keep us safe then" I patted him on the chest, giving him a sly, vulpine smile. He gawked at me, obviously not wanting to take up the role. The crunch of snow underfoot was the only audible sound in the dead winter, as Paris thought for a way out of this arrangement.

"You'll protect us, won't you Paris?" I batted my eyelashes at him, "I always knew you weren't a coward. Always on the front lines, ready to protect the innocent and the helpless"

A hand was placed on my chest as I pouted, mimicking a damsel in distress. I expected him to snort at me, to laugh at my obvious teasing. Instead, he shocked me by giving me a serious nod of acknowledgment. His jaw was set as he looked down at me, a glint of conviction in his eyes.

"I will" he told me, his tone serious, "Of course I will"

Oh brother...

I blinked in shock, stepping away from him as if he had a contagious disease. I stared at my feet, my high-tops leaving footprints in the thick snow. They were enchanted water proof, and I pretended to examine the charm. My eyebrows were furrowed as I kept sneaking glances in Paris' direction.

Finally, after a silence that seemed to stretch on for eternity, Paris and I reached a small inn on the outskirts of Witch Salem. It was slightly run down, and looked more like a two story, wooden lodge besides a boarding house, but we knew they would not require identification from us and that was all that mattered. Establishments like these, that followed no legal nor ethical regulations, were hotspots for people like us, who did not want to be seen.

Apparently this was not clear to Paris though, because the second we stepped into the establishment, he began avidly blabbing all of our personal information to the inn keeper behind the bar. While he made small talk to her, I scanned the room. The first level was some sort of dining area, with a bar being used as a makeshift front desk. The innkeeper sighed, thunking open a huge tome when we asked for rooms.

"Age and species?" She asked in a bored tone, obviously having to do this several times a day. Paris choked, his eyes practically bulging out of his head.