32. Like, Mated?

Although it took a whole thirty minutes to calm Evie down, Angelina was more than surprised when Mason guided them both to his bed without another word. Evie did not hesitate to scramble into the sheets as she sniffed into the hem of her shirt, burying her head there. She had an iron grip on Angelina's hand as she tugged on it. She almost face planted into a stray pillow but Evie cuddled up quickly to her side, hiding her sobbing face into her borrowed shirt.

From her peripheral, Mason gave her a look that communicated that he was going to leave. She felt rude staying, considering it was his room but he shook his head and left with one last, meaningful glance.

As soon as Mason closed the door behind him, Evie blubbered out a jumble of sounds. It was difficult to make sense of a single sentence since her words were muffled against her chest.

"Hey, stop Evie." Angelina stroked the locks of hair that had become wet from her tears. Some stuck to the sides of her face. Evie squirmed but eventually, her blubbers were reduced to small, faint sniffles.

When she finally could form a coherent word, Evie lifted her head from her chest. "I-I wanted to say I'm sorry."

"Ok." Angelina accepted. Sure, Evie had said some things that made her feel guilty and it genuinely hurt to hear it but she was still struck speechless from the way Mason had defended her. Mason's protectiveness had genuinely stunned her.

When was the last time anyone had done that for her?

Had anyone protected or defended her the way Mason did?

She couldn't recollect any memory of anyone ever doing that for her.

It was an eye-opener.

As she stroked a hand down her sister's hair, she felt her heart race a little faster.

Evie sniffled again, "I didn't mean to sound rude or anything. When I said, 'you don't get it', I meant you guys didn't get how relieved I was to be out of there. I wanted to say that but the words got caught up in my throat and sounded stupid instead. I'm sorry." She repeated, wiping the tear tracks from her cheeks with the bottom parts of her sleeves.

"Oh."

"Yeah, I was trying to say that but that man..."

"Mason." Angelina provided.

Evie released a small chuckle, "Yeah, him. He wouldn't let me get a word in."

"He's overprotective."

"Is he yours?" Evie asked, peeking one eye at her as she cautiously rubbed the other.

Angelina blinked, surprised by the question. Maybe it was the way that Evie framed the question, or the way she said it, whatever it was, it made something in her melt. "Is he mine?" She repeated, letting the words dance in the air in front of her.

"Yeah, like, are you two together or something?" Evie asked, a hint shy.

"He's my mate...We're actually mated." She admitted, watching the different emotions flash across her face.

Evie blinked, "Mated? Like mates? Wasn't Rosie..."

"Yes but things changed."

"Wow. How much did I exactly miss when I was gone?"

"Not much really. Are you hurt? Is there something I can do for you?" Angelina asked the things she wanted to voice before Evie interrupted her line of questioning.

Evie glanced down at the plain, faded shirt drowning her body. "Who changed me?"

"I did. Don't worry, I did everything."