11•something cruel

Umi gripped the skirt and took a deep breath for the fourth time. She knew, she counted, even how many students already passed their car in the parking lot, rushing to the redecorated school gymnasium for the party. Sixteen, in three groups. Earlier, when Ethan asked "Ready?" for the first time, she asked for a minute, until it became ten.

"Okay," she declared. "Ready.'

James jumped out from the front seat and opened the door for her. "Don't be ashamed, you look perfect." His smile never left his face, not until Umi tugged his crooked tie did he frown.

He then raised a thumb at her black ensemble, with a silver pin and faux diamond on her hair. "Told you, you'd rock it."

Ethan positioned beside her, offering an arm. Umi anchored hers on him and rolled her eyes at James. So she offered her arms too. And the three of them strutted the red carpet chained to each other.

They looked good, everything's going to be alright, these and counting her steps filled her head. Her back and eyes forward, Umi stopped counting the stares. It's fine. The past few days were peaceful. Jux never approached her again, with only a smirk and a nod every time theory eyes met.

Everything's falling into place, in awkward and irregular shapes, but with their own places.

Despite dallying for minutes, they were half an hour early and claimed the table at the outermost corner. James entertained them with his random trivia about the history of polka dots and lace.

"Find her," she coaxed, after the climax of his history lesson.

"Who?"

"Whoever you're looking for."

"We get it, you know random things," Ethan added. "We also get it that your neck is long and twisty. Stop looking around and find Pauline."

"How'd you know?"

"You fought, didn't you?'

The other glanced at Umi and scratched his head. "Kinda. She blocked my number. Couldn't even DM her."

"Then go find her." Umi poked his arm and tilted her head for him to go.

After a promise of coming back the soonest, James left. Umi and Ethan alone, with no random chatter, silence filled their table. After what happened in the park, things got better, and at the same time, worse. Stolen glances, unspoken words and awkward greetings filled their company each time.

"I'm glad you came." It was his first attempt to break the ice.

"Yeah..."

She was caught in his eyes, unable to look away. The party hadn't started yet, but he already rolled his sleeves to his elbows and a few strands of his hair strayed down his forehead. Umi was tempted to remove it and brush it back away from his face.

And she did. "Better."

"Better," he agreed, discreet smirk stretched on his lips. "And Umi, can I talk to you later?"

"You can talk to me now."

"Not with all these people."

She nodded, at the same time he pulled his phone to answer a call. "Hey Jux," he answered, a little too irritated.

Her heart pounded into a familiar skip of fear, spreading to her body as he glanced at Umi and frowned. "Now? Sorry man, I can't." He then further explained after the call. "Jux had an accident. Nothing serious."

Despite their complicated past, she did not wish misfortune to fall upon her old friend. Worry must have etched on her face that he added details. "He hit a pole, just a gash on the forehead and his car won't start."