43

LOU'S POV

"Had fun with Ashley?"

I nodded my head yes and kept eating my cereal. The truth was that I hadn't seen Ashley in about two weeks now, but her simple existence was the best excuse I could give to my mother when I was actually hiding in Diane's house.

She hadn't called or texted, and she hadn't stepped a foot inside school for all that I knew.

"What did you two do all weekend?" She asked.

I cringed at her curiousness. "We watched a couple movies, walked around... we basically just hang out." I shrugged my shoulders and watched her sip from her tea cup.

"Is she... your girlfriend?" My mom asked with caution.

I wanted to laugh. I really did.

"She's just a friend, I don't like her like that."

"Okay." She nodded.

She seemed chill. For once, Nancy Jensen was relaxed and accepting of my homosexuality.

The day started as usual at school, a couple nasty looks from homophobic idiots, a 'good morning' from some teachers, and the usual cacophony of the school hallways. I opened my locker and started getting my books for my classes today, I was so focused that I didn't hear footsteps approaching me.

"Hey, Lou," I turned my head to find her face. She smiled friendly at me. "I was wondering if you'd like to sit with me at lunch," Allie asked.

I didn't recognize her at first. She had her hair up to her shoulders, and was wearing a long sleeved shirt along with blue jeans and converse. No makeup, maybe just a bit of foundation.

I frowned, "Why would you want to have lunch with me?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

I scoffed, "I'm sorry, let me correct myself... Why would I want to have lunch with you?"

Allie's friendly smile turned into a disappointed glance.

"Did you by any chance get to read my note?" She seemed less confident, as if she was lacking braveness to come talk to me.

I nodded my head, "I read it."

"Good. Think about lunch. I'll be waiting for you, okay? I'll be alone, Franky and I had an argument and now she's friends with other people, so, it will just be us if you do agree to sit with me." Allie rambled.

I nodded my head and watched her walk away.

I didn't know if I wanted to sit with her or not; I just knew I felt deeply sorry for her, and I wondered if she'd retract her offer if she knew I was going to sit with her because of pity.

My head had a million thoughts right now. I was confused about Allie's behavior, and as much as I wanted to believe that she was sorry and that she was trying to change, I was scared to let her in that easily. It was time I protected myself.

Diane walked past me in the hallway and greeted me with a "Good morning Miss Jensen," that made me blush and wave back at her with a stupid grin plastered on my face.

Then, I thought of Diane, and what she'd think about Allie inviting me to eat with her. She would get all angry and hurt, I knew that much. But all she wanted was to protect me, and I knew she'd feel hurt if I agreed to lunch without talking to her first, to ask her opinion.

Didn't we agree that we wanted to communicate?

*

Soon it was lunch time and I sat next to Allie in the cafeteria. She seemed so happy to see me next to her, but I still felt like this was strange coming from her.