Chapter 12

"Daddy, daddy," Tessa heard a sob as a little girl stood over her father's dead body

"Daddy, daddy," Tessa heard a sob as a little girl stood over her father's dead body. A Circle member was creeping about behind her making Tessa run and stab him without a second thought. 

"Hey, sweety," she crouched down to match the girl's height, "It's okay, you're safe. Stay with me, okay?" The little girl nodded as tears ran down her cheeks.

She could hear the fights and grunts of the Circle members and her Shadowhunter friends as she held onto the little girl, letting her sob in her shoulders.

"Tessa," Jace called as he ran to embrace the brunette. He was worried that something bad had happened to her, and the simple thought of her being hurt made him want to curl up into a ball and cry.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" Jace bombarded her with questions as she still held the girl in her arms. 

"I'm fine. Are you alright?" She said tracing her finger next to the cut he had on his face.

"Just a cut. Nothing a Healing Rune can't fix," he smiled as he ignored the shivers sent down his spine when her fingers touched his face.

"Magnus," Tessa called as she entered with the young warlock holding her hand.

"Go join the others, my dear. This is no place for a little girl, go," Magnus said to the girl.

"I heard what you did for Zoe," Magnus said to Tessa. "You risked your life without hesitation to save a young warlock child."

"She was just a little girl who didn't deserve to see her father die simply because of who they are.  Warlock or not, no child deserves that.  I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if anything happened to her," she answered.

"You're not like the others, Tessa. Most Shadowhunters protect Downworlders out of sense of duty, but you saved young Zoe because of what was in your heart. You're more like your mother than you will ever know."

"Tell me about her. Tatiana. What was she like," Tessa asked with a desperate look in her eyes. She had a mother, one who cared about her.

"Your mother was the kindest person I had ever met, selfless and brave. And she loved you. She loved you very much, and she would be proud of the young woman you have become," Magnus said putting a hand on her shoulder as she wiped the tear that rolled down her cheek.

"Magnus, you can't run forever," Clary said before Tessa got the chance to reply. "Help me, please."

"I can summon the demon but you must make the demand. Now, I warn you retrieving your memories will not be easy."

"I will do what I have to do," Clary rolled her eyes.

"Alright. But we're not safe here. The lair's location has been compromised. Hold tight everyone, we're about to move."