Book 1: Water | 15 | Giant Fish?

Flying in the sky would never get old to Ayaan. That was not the issue. It was that in the span of an entire week, they had been going to random places. While resting at their camp they'd train, constantly losing to Ayaan but steadily getting better. But the fact remained, the truth of this situation was painfully obvious.

"Aang... are you lost?" Ayaan asked, sitting in his spot in Appa's saddle. Sokka was on his right while Katara was on his left, sewing up Sokka's pants which got a hole in it during their travels.

"N-no! We're close, I know it!" Aang replied cheerfully, still looking at his map.

"You have said this before. Everyday. For a week." Ayaan stated. Aang's ears burned when he realized that he had, indeed, said that exact same sentence before.

"Are you sure you know where you're going?" Sokka inquired.

"Well... I know it's by water." Aang answered honestly, a hopeful tone in his voice.

The same could not be said for the siblings. Currently, Appa was flying above the sea. There was water in every direction and the land they'd just came from was too far away to see now. "I guess we're getting close then." Sokka said sarcastically. Ayaan let out a sigh. Katara wasn't paying attention to the boys at all, concentrating on her sewing.

Aang had a glint in his eyes and called over to Momo. Sokka tried to relax on the back of the saddle while Ayaan was contemplating their next step. Katara was currently trying to sew a hole in Sokka's pants, trying to concentrate as to not mess up.

Ayaan went to Aang. "Maybe flying a bit higher will give you a better sense of where we are?" He suggested.

"Great idea, Ayaan! Here, can you guide Appa for me?" Aang handed him the reigns. It was not the first time he had taken them during their travels, as the bison and eldest had grown incredibly close. Ayaan took the reigns easily, switching places with Aang as he got into the saddle where Ayaan once was.

Ayaan began petting the bison immediately, running his hands through the soft fluff. He could feel the bison rumble contently at the touch. The next time they landed, he would give Appa an a few apples and a melon, which they had found growing at their last stop. Appa had five stomachs, snacks were good to give to him when they had the chance.

Though he had to make sure to give Momo his share of treats too, the little guy had quite the appetite himself. But for now, he went back to guiding Appa to go a bit higher. He took in the sight of the ocean getting farther away, the clouds becoming larger. It was a blissful experience he felt lucky to have.

Aang had asked if Ayaan wanted to try flying Appa, and the older boy's eyes practically sparkled. Aang gave him pointers in flying with Appa while Ayaan gave Aang pointers during spars. The young airbender, although masterfully skilled in airbending, was not a fighter. Thus, when he was put in a situation were airbending was not enough, he found himself at a loss.

Ayaan gave him pointers the same way he gave Sokka points in the village. Since Aang used his staff, Ayaan gave him tips in the way he uses the blunt side of his spear. They went back and forth with ideas that Aang could use with and without his bending.

Although it was mostly Aang coming up with a bunch of super moves like the child he was.

The memory made Ayaan smile.

While Ayaan was thinking of fun moments with his family, Katara, Sokka, and Aang were in the saddle, being slightly chaotic.

"Hey Katara, check out this airbending trick!" Aang says enthusiastically, spinning the gray marbles Momo handed him so quickly it looked like a single ring.