27. rift

1996

"I'm fine, Marcus. Really," she grumbled as he carefully cleaned away the minute spot of blood on her lip with a damp cloth. He just scowled at her, a displeased expression on his face. Claire had vaguely explained what happened while they were away, and the kings reacted just as she expected. She had to beg Caius to not punish Jane and Dimitri. Aro had immediately taken her hand to sift through her memories before storming off to the basement, Felix and Alec on his heels.

Once Marcus collected himself, he had scooped up Claire and flashed to the bathroom upstairs with a word. He was enraged, but he knew he was the most level-headed of the kings, so he would be the only one with the capacity to tend to her wounds.

His silence vividly reminded her of Edward. Whenever she would accidently injure herself, perhaps tripping on the sidewalk or getting the smallest of papercuts, he would brood in silence for hours before scolding her for being so clumsy and careless, testing his self-control to not drain her. He'd always managed to make her feel like a small child being told off by a frustrated parent. 

"I'm sorry," she told him softly, her eyes downcast. "I wasn't...paying attention. Please don't be mad at me."

His movements paused as he looked down at his soulmate. He really wasn't angry with her; he was furious with the whole situation and their handling of it. He was struggling to accept that one of their trusted guards betrayed them and nearly ended her life. He didn't think Santiago would ever be so bold as to actually harm their mate, their Queen.

"Tesoro," he soothed, dropping the cloth in the sink and cradling her face gently, being carefully of her bruises. "I'm not angry at you, my love. I'm upset at myself. We are meant to protect you, keep you safe, but we knowingly put you in harm's way and I will never stop trying to make it up to you.

"I was so scared," she suddenly sobbed, the dam of emotions finally breaking. She launched herself at him, wrapping her arm tightly around his neck. He held her close, the drumming of her heart assuring him that she was alive and safe with him.

He couldn't imagine how terrified and vulnerable she must have felt, cornered and terrorized by a monster. He didn't know what God to thank for preventing any worse injury to his love, but he swore to never let her life lay in the hands of fate ever again. He would refuse to leave her without one of her soulmates, he would make sure Aro was using his gift without restraint, so they would be fully aware of any more dissent within their coven.

"Oh, my love," he lulled. "No one will ever harm you again, I swear on my enduring life."

While Marcus was comforting Claire, Caius joined Aro down in the musty basement. In his fit of rage, and unable to take it out of the guards he believed failed them, he fled the house and sought out a poor human to drain. It did little to curb his ire, but he returned to Claire's home in hopes of endlessly torturing the vermin that dared lay hands on his mate.

When he made it downstairs, he was greeted by the sight of Santiago's head reattached and his body completely enveloped by Alec's sensory depriving mist.

"Anything interesting, fratello?" He joined Aro, standing at his side while his brother unrelentingly gripping the traitor's hand. Aro had been sifting through all of Santiago's memories, over and over again. He had spotted a particularly interesting memory and he had to rewatch it to make sure he knew what he was seeing.

Aro dropped the hand of the turncoat with a huff. He still wasn't completely sure of what he witnessed.

"I'm not sure yet," he responded, then called for Dimitri.

In a blink, the loyal guard was in front of his masters, being sure to avoid eye contact with the agitated kings. He knew he was lucky to avoid a terrible punishment, all thanks to the vehement protection from his queen.

"Your hand, Now," Aro gritted through his teeth. He promised not to punish the guard, he didn't say anything about being polite.

Dimitri obediently offered his hand to his master, who took it in a shattering grip.

Aro delved into his mind, viewing the day's events through the eyes of his coven member. He watched as him and Jane tailed Claire and Santiago and watched as they frantically came to her aid. And he it saw again; the interesting phenomenon of an invisible, impenetrable wall that protected Claire from further attack.

He was baffled. Did Claire do that? And what on Earth was that? Did she have a gift that was already manifesting? It was intriguing, and it seemed like she had no idea about what she had done.

"Very interesting," he muttered, dismissing Dimitri and turning to his brother. "It seems our little mate has begun to develop a gift already," he explained. "She managed to defend herself against him, conjured a physical barrier that he was unable to break through."

Caius stood frozen with eyes wide. It was almost unheard of to exhibit gifts while still human, and never one so powerful. Then again, they had never heard of anyone being mated to more than two vampires before. It made sense that she would have a strong gift.

"She's going to be a powerful immortal."

"Our mate was savagely attacked by someone we assigned her, knowingly, and you're worried about how powerful she will be?" Caius asked in utter disbelief. He knew his brother was ambitious, but the disregard for his soulmate's wellbeing was alarming.

Aro didn't acknowledge him, which only angered Caius further. He wondered if Aro's affection and feelings for Claire were even real. How could he be so callous and uncaring towards the woman who accepted him so willingly.

"Keep away from her," he growled and stomped back upstairs, finding a dozing Claire curled up in bed with Marcus. He silently joined them, fitting his arms around her waist, and nuzzling his face into the back of her hair. Just touching her grounded him and soothed his rage. He was glad she was all right, and he would never be letting her out of his sights again.

Marcus had heard every word and would be having a serious word to his brother later. He could still see their bond glowing strong, so Aro must have had a reason for his behavior.

"We will deal with his majesty tomorrow," Marcus said, too quietly for Claire to hear as to not disturb her. "For now, she is our only responsibility."

His brother didn't respond but he was in agreement. She would always be their priority, and even their own brother would not prevent them from making sure she knew that. 

a/n: woooow more drama

also hi! i'm back and my updates will return to normal. if you haven't already, please go and read my other book, Gently. I'm aiming to finish it by the end of the week and would love some more support on it <3