Chapter 47

While Layla and the other girls were asleep in their dorm that night, Diana decided to stay awake to read the Divination book which Remus had given her. 

     It was way past midnight and she was lying on her stomach in bed, the blankets drawn right over her head like a tent, with her wand's tip lightened up over her book which was propped open against the pillow.

    There was a good reason that this book was in the restricted section, Diana thought as she read through the horrible stuff that happened to those who had the ability to foresee the future, or the terrifying accidents some omens brought people.

Diana learnt that usually being a Seer runs in a family, even though it might show itself in someone generations later. There were a few parts in the book, however, that Diana found rather curious as she read on. It was the page Remus had showed her.

In most cases, after a prophecy is created, the Seer themself faces a sudden amnesia that causes them to forget about the prediction they've just made, consequently causing many predictions to go unheard throughout history. However, many of the said prophecies are being kept in the Department of Mysteries at the Ministry of Magic, only accessible by those who the prophecy was made about.

It were the next words what caught Diana's attention the most,

In other cases, it is not much of a prophecy but merely a prediction of future events. The person who experiences such effect will have full access to the memory and might not have any difficulties to remember it.

Predictions come in different shapes; a dream, through tea leaves, crystal orbs, or a sudden connection of what the future might hold. Although it is said that only true Seers — which were extremely rare in the past few centuries — will possess such power to feel the future rather than to see it in crystal orbs or tea leaves.

     Diana tore her eyes away from the book at that point, her mind racing as she repeated the words she had just read.

A sudden connection of what the future might hold...

The power to feel the future...

Diana recalled the moment she had touched Remus's hand for the first time in Diagon Alley that the dark feeling rushed through her. But it couldn't have been a prediction about him specifically, because the second time Diana had felt the same thing, she was in the Divination classroom. Remus Lupin wasn't even around back then.

"This is stupid," Diana whispered to herself as she shut the book close. "Nox!"

The light on the tip of her wand went out and so she pulled the blanket off her, placing the Diviantion book on her nightstand, where the flower bouquet still laid.

Sighing to herself, Diana put her head down on the pillow and stared up at the ceiling with her mind full of wonders and more unanswered questions.

I can't be a Seer. I just can't be, she kept repeating to herself. But the book had clearly stated that only a true Seer could have a prediction of the future through feelings.

Diana shook her head stubbornly at the thought. It wasn't a prediction. How could it be? It was just a feeling. Nothing more.

Suddenly remembering that the following day they had a Divination class and she hadn't written anything in her dream journal, Diana quietly picked up her wand, notebook, parchments, ink, and quill, before making her way out of the dorm and down into the Slytherin common room.

She sat on the couch beside the fireplace, deciding to stay up a bit longer to write seven nights worth of fake dreams and their predictions.

As the night grew longer and the silence became louder, Diana didn't stop writing. She didn't realize at what point she had stopped making up dreams and instead was now writing about the feeling she had gotten twice with detail, so she wouldn't forget it.

One page leading to another, her writings became longer, and now she was so lost in her thoughts that she started writing about the night in the library with Remus or the Valentine's day, even about the way he always smelled like chocolate or the fact that he always carried a book around with himself to read.

This went on and on, until she eventually fell asleep on the couch in the dim common room, with the journal laying open on her chest.

***

"I like History of Magic. I really do. But Professor Binns somehow has the talent to make every word that comes out of his mouth sound boring," Diana said with a groan as she and Layla took their seats, waiting for the ghost teacher to float through the blackboard as always and begin the lesson.

As soon as Professor Binns arrived, he took out his notes to continue to make the students suffer for another hour and a half droning on about the subject of Giant Wars.

Diana placed her head down on the table and took out her quill, starting to doodle on the margins of her book out of boredom. She was slowly dozing off, not even paying attention to what shapes she was drawing down on the paper.

When the class finally came to an end and Professor Binns dismissed them after what felt like days, Diana stretched out her arms and then got up to her feet. Although before she could pack her stuff, she caught Layla glancing curiously down at her book.

"What?" Diana mused.

"What are those numbers you've written all over your book?" Layla questioned with a frown.

"What are you talking about? What numbers?" Diana followed Layla's gaze and looked down at her book, taking aback at what she saw.

All over the page, she had written three numbers; one, zero, and five.

It wasn't just the margins. She had covered the whole page in these three numbers. Diana flipped the page. The next one was filled with the same numbers, and so was the page after that as she flipped through.

1... 0... 5...

"When did I even write these?" Diana whispered, talking mostly to herself as she frowned.

Layla scoffed. "Binns finally did it. He drove you into insanity out of boredom."

"Yeah..." Diana mumbled as she closed her History of Magic book and placed it into her bag, along with her quill and ink bottle. She hadn't even realized that she had doodled those numbers, as though she had gone through a trance.

What the hell is going on? Diana thought to herself in both worry and confusion.