For A Good Time, Call...

Thunder struck raucously, a perfect match with the sour mood brewing in the foyer. Jealousy was always symbolized as a monster, and truer words could've never been spoken in terms of the vexed brunette kicking off his Doc Martens. Accusations had flown in the club that your eyes had drifted elsewhere, and at a man who was not your taste. No matter how many times you'd sworn this concocted attraction didn't exist, in one ear and out the other it went. For the entirety of your relationship - five long years and counting - loyalty had never been the issue. It was his never-ending string of doubts that was taking a toll on the whirlwind romance. College days had brought you two together, meeting in a poetry class and having the very first date shared under the stars with a picnic. He had been nothing if not a loving boyfriend if you didn't count the elephant in the room, and so you pushed through regardless.

"Are you going to talk to me?" you sigh, and pick up the raincoat he'd carelessly littered on the stairs so you could hang it on the rack. "You're being ridiculous, I hope you know. I have never once wanted anyone else besides you and I'm tired of having the same fight."

"There's nothing to talk about." Kai grumbles, crossing his arms and leaning over the granite island tabletop in the middle of the kitchen. "You obviously don't respect my feelings if you're gonna shame me. My reaction is justified."

"Do you even hear yourself?" You walk towards him, only for him to retreat backwards in utter disgust. "Nothing happened! This paranoia of yours is actually worrying - you're imagining things."

"Would you stop acting like I'm fucking CRAZY?" he yells in annoyance, and tosses a vase against the wall so it shatters into millions of pieces and his chest heaves from the rampant emotions going a mile a minute in his overwhelmed mind. "I saw the way your eyes followed him as he sat at the bar. You better stop this stupid charade."

"I looked up because him and his friends were b-being loud." Voice a whimper and body trembling, guilt is manifesting even though you know with everything in you that he is in the wrong. Scarce faith does not a believer make. "What do I have to do for you to trust me?"

"Love me." Quite like the ceramic from moments ago, he too is broken and in dire need of fixing before none of his pieces can be fit together again. A lifetime of abandonment from parents, friends, any soul alike was enough to wreak enduring damage. Everyone who had played a major part in his upbringing left sooner rather than later, so to fully trust in anyone promising to stay felt like a road to continued misery.

"Don't you see how much I do?" You caressed his chin ever so gently, ignoring the fact his actions had instilled terror deep in your psyche. "I would never do anything to ruin what we have. We may not be perfect, but the thought of starting over with anyone who isn't you makes me feel sick. I want...no, I need you. That's why it's so important that you let go of this and see reality."

"There you go again, making me sound like I'm out of my mind. Fuck this, leave me the hell alone and don't bother talking to me either." Off he trudges in the direction of the patio, done with the situation and maybe even for good with the history you two had shared. A nervous breakdown felt close and he just needed a moment by himself to process it all. It was not that he didn't care or share in the love, it was that his guard had never fully been dropped and he needed to learn how.

As quick as your own feet could take you did you follow him, only to have the door slammed in your face cruelly and across the glass you drug your palms in despair. "Kai, please," you began to quietly sob, holding on as it were his embrace and wishing everything would change. This is not what you had envisioned when you knew for sure he was your soulmate.

Under the canopy between the campus buildings, him leaning in for the kiss that would start a memorable affair between two star-crossed lovers. The way his dark-rimmed glasses sat on his nose and the adorably goofy smile of excitement that you wanted him just as much.