02.11

[act two; chapter eleven     -     savior complex]

Andromeda was having a big 'I told you so' moment and to say she was enjoying it would be a gross understatement. She was having a blast whispering in Annabeth's ear that she had been wrong and the redhead had been right, something that didn't happen often.

She was, in her opinion, channeling her inner Weasley.

Though she was enjoying this newfound power of being right over a child of Athena, she couldn't help but smile at the sight of Percy happily walking around the boat, controlling it with ease like he had done it hundreds of times previously.

The Queen Anne's Revenge responded to his every command. He knew which ropes to hoist, which sails to raise, which direction to steer. They plowed through the waves at what he figured were about ten knots. He even understood how fast that was. For a sailing ship, pretty darn fast.

But now that they were out of danger, all Percy could think about was how much he missed Tyson, and how worried he was about Grover; also how funny it was the see a certain redheaded daughter of Dionysus tease him and Annabeth constantly.

Andromeda could practically see his thoughts as his expressions shifted back and forth, his mind clearly not in the right place. One minute he was happy, kind of like a kid in a candy store, about how he could control the boat, and the next he was sad and gloomy.

Percy still felt changed. Not just because he had a sudden desire to eat lettuce. He felt jumpy, like the instinct to be a scared little animal was now a part of him. Or maybe it had always been there. That's what really worried him.

They sailed through the night.

Annabeth tried to help Percy keep lookout, but sailing didn't agree with her. After a few hours rocking back and forth, her face turned the color of guacamole and she went below to lie in a hammock.