Yelena Belova x Reader - Best Friend

REQUESTED
Gender neutral reader :)

Y/N's P.O.V.

Natasha Romanoff was my best friend, my only friend, really. She took me in when I had nowhere to go and nobody to turn to.
She was an Avenger and I was a nobody, but she still cared.
It broke my heart to know that she died to bring me and everyone else back. I truly had no one.
I tried staying at our old shared apartment, but it turned out a small family had moved in during the 5 years I was gone.

"You must be Y/N." I looked up at the blond man dressed in a suit.
"Nat told me a lot about you. I'm Steve."

"I know who you are, Captain." I muttered.
"I can't talk right now. I have to be... anywhere else that you're not." I tried to move past.

"Look, I'm... going away for a while. You really meant a lot to Nat, so if you need a place to stay, my apartment is gonna be empty." He held out a small set of keys and I looked at him in confusion, before taking them.
"Oh, and you're going to want these too." He pulled out a more familiar set of motorcycle keys, a spider key ring dangling with the keys.
"Nat would have wanted you to have them. She was always talking about how much you loved her bike."

"I got her this key ring in an arcade." I laughed weakly.
"It was stupid, but I was so determined to get it."

"Look, I've got to go, but here."
He passed me a slip of paper.
"That's the address of my apartment and a number you can call if you ever need anything. It was nice meeting you Y/N." He walked off before I could say anything else. I opened up the paper, finding a Brooklyn address and a phone number, above it, the name 'Sam Wilson'.

~

I looked at the headstone in front of me with a frown.
Sam had told me about it shortly after I had contacted him. That was a few weeks ago and I had been almost every day since.
Daughter. Sister. Avenger.
The words made me feel sick.
I missed her so goddamn much.

"This is private land." A woman with a thick Russian accent spoke and I quickly wiped away the wetness from my eyes.

"I'm just paying my respects." I muttered, not looking at the woman.

"You've been here a lot. I think you've done paying your respects." I looked at her in disbelief and anger, but we both froze when we saw each other.
I recognised her instantly.
"You're Y/N L/N. My sister had a picture of you."

"And you're Yelena Belova. Natasha had a picture of you." She looked down slightly.
"Natasha was my best friend, she was a sentimentalist, even if she didn't want to show it."

"My sister was in denial about a lot of things." Yelena chuckled.
"Like the way she posed when she fought." I couldn't help but laugh with the woman.

"Not just when she fought. I'm pretty sure I saw her land in that position when I scared her and she fell off the couch that one time." I imitated the position poorly, flicking my hair all over the place, Yelena continuing to laugh.
She had a very pretty laugh. Actually, everything about her was pretty.

"You okay?" She looked at me carefully and I blinked a few times.
"You're staring."

"Sorry." I cleared my throat awkwardly, looking down.

"Don't be. You have nice eyes." My breath got caught in my throat as heat crawled up my neck and onto my face.
"It's good to meet a friend of Tasha's. A real friend, not a superhero."

"It's good to meet the baby sister she always talked about." Yelena looked slightly shocked at that.
"Okay, not always. She mentioned you once or twice when she was drunk." There were a few moments of silence and I began to think I had said the wrong thing, when the woman cleared her throat.

"Let's go and get a drink. There's a small place not too far from here."

"Are you... asking me out?" I muttered, shocked. Yelena shrugged her shoulders slightly, as if to say it wasn't a big deal.
"Why?"

"My sister cared for you a lot. I'm beginning to see why, but I'm interested to see more." She smiled softly.
"So... drinks?"

~

In the months that followed meeting Yelena, we quickly grew a strong bond. It was a different kind of bond than I had with Natasha. I definitely saw Natasha as more of a sisterly, or even a motherly, figure, but my connection with Yelena was anything but.
She was amazing and it didn't take long for me to develop a crush on the woman.

"Morning." Yelena muttered tiredly as she moved to sit in the kitchen counter and I gave her a small smile.
She had stayed over the night before, considering both of us were too drunk to actually get up off of the couch.

"Here." I handed her a cup of coffee and she hummed slightly. There were a few moments of silence as I finished up breakfast.

"What're you cooking?" Yelena asked, suddenly right behind me. Her hands landed on my waist and I froze for a few seconds, taking a breath before relaxing.

"What're you cooking?" I mimicked her accent poorly as I turned off the oven.
"What does it look-" I turned my head to look at her and was completely caught off guard when her lips pressed against mine.
I let myself melt into the kiss and Yelena's hand moved from my waist up to my cheek, before she broke the kiss, giving me an adorable smile.
"Thank you?"

"Thank you?" She laughed and my face felt like it was on fire.

"Yeah, I- Uh, what was that for?" She looked slightly confused at that.
"Sorry, I just... you're my only real friend and-"

"Your friend?" She repeated and I hesitated.
"I thought... we're not dating?" My jaw almost hit the floor.
"We've been out together so many times... I assumed you just wanted to take things slow."

"No!" A hurt expression crossed her face and my chest tightened.
"No, Yelena, I like you a lot, I just thought you wasn't interested."

"Wasn't interested? How many times have we fallen asleep wrapped in the same blanket, on the same couch, cuddled up to each other?" She laughed weakly.

"I thought you were just being friendly!" I defended and she took a step back.

"I should go." She muttered, but I reached out, taking her hand in mine.

"Please don't." I looked at her hopefully.
"I really do like you, Yelena. I'd like to try the dating thing out, properly this time?" I could see her hesitation.
"And besides, I made breakfast."

"How could I say no to that?" She muttered sarcastically and I let out a relieved sigh.