Interrupted Arguments

George leads me through the water in silence for about ten minutes. He seems to be in deep thought, and the longer he thinks, the more his brow furrows. He stares angrily at the open ocean until I stop.

"George."

He turns to face me, his anger exuding from his expression.

"I'm tired."

He rolls his eyes. "Okay, and?"

"Well, aren't you wondering how we changed into mermen again, even though we didn't in the swimming pool?"

He pauses and takes a quick breath. "I guess."

"It just doesn't make any sense to me. You would think that when you're a fish, being in water would turn you into a fish."

"Well, yeah. But normally you wouldn't change into a mythical creature in the first place."

He turns back to the open ocean and swishes his tail to propel forward. I quickly swim after him to try and catch up.

Once I reach his side I say, "Hold on. Why are you being so weird about this?"

He continues to stare ahead as he answers. "Well, I don't know. Maybe because it was kind of your fault that this happened?"

"What?! Are you serious?"

"Uhh, yes. You were the one that made me go into the creepy cave in the first place."

Is this what he has been thoroughly thinking about for the past ten minutes?

I roll my eyes in annoyance. "Okay, sure. I get that maybe it was my fault, but can't you, like, enjoy it a little? This is something that never happens to anyone in the whole world. We have literally entered a world unknown to mankind entirely, and you're upset?"

George stops in his tracks and looks at me with a fire in his eyes, a fire that I was kindling. "Did you want me to be grateful?"

"Well, I don't know, maybe?" My voice is angry, but I try to stay calm. "You don't have to be sour about it at least."

George raises his hands up in frustration. "Why would I be grateful that you turned me into a fish?!"

"It wasn't even me! I can't turn people into fish."

"I literally just told you-"

"Can you guys stop yelling?" A voice interrupts our argument, making me twist around.

George's back hits mine and he grabs my wrist. I am breathing heavily as I stare into the blue ocean, nothing in sight.

"H-hello?" I call out shakily.

My eyes sweep the ocean floor and a little head pokes out from a rock in front of me. I yelp in surprise. George twists his head to look at the person behind the rock.

"Who are you?" he asks shakily.

The head emerges more, revealing a small bare chested male with chestnut hair.

"I could ask you the same thing," he says with slight confidence, although you can hear the fear in his words.

I clear my throat. "Sorry, um... I'm Dream and this is George." I gesture vaguely in George's direction. "Are you a merman?"

He nods his head slightly. "Yes. I'm Karl."

George swims towards him. "Hi, Karl. It's so nice to meet you. We've been looking for a merman actually."

"Why?" he slowly swims up away from the rock, revealing his purplish tail that slowly fades into a teal color.

I swim over to Karl as well, as George states, "Well, we were hoping someone could change us back into humans, because, you see, we are supposed to have legs and-"

Karl moves back behind the rock in fear. "You're a human?"

I nod my head slowly. "Yes?"

His eyes go wide. "You're not supposed to be here. You gotta get outta here."

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion as George asks, "Why?"

"There's no time to explain. Let's go." He darts from behind the rock and grabs George's wrist before catching mine and dragging us back from where we came.

"Wait, wait!" I call out as he swims frantically. "What's going on?"

"Yeah," George adds. "We need you to change us back."

Karl shakes his head violently. "No! You can't ever come back to the ocean again. Okay? Promise me."

"Why? We need to know why," I insist.

He stops as we get closer to the surface and turns to look at us. His pale eyes sweep across our features frantically.

"Blue and green," he mumbles. "This is not good."

"What? What's not good?" I ask, more forcefully.

"You guys shouldn't be here," he repeats.

"Yeah, we know. Why?" I state with annoyance, pulling my wrist from his grip.

Karl's eyes stay wide with fear.

"Please," George adds.

Karl's eyes dart between George and I before he finally speaks up. "Listen closely. There is a prophecy, among the merfolk, where two humans, the blue and the green, will make their way into the ocean. And when they find the mer-world they will become the most powerful of them all."

George and I look at each other, confusion across our faces.

"What?" I choke out.

"This is my fault," Karl mutters to himself.

"How? Look, Karl, we aren't here to become the most powerful or whatever," George says kindly. "We just want to go back to being regular human boys. Can you help us?"

Karl's eyes flick nervously between the two of us. "I... I probably can, but I might need some help."

George nods his head. "Good."

"But not today." he adds. "Meet me by the cove on the west side of the beach tomorrow morning and I will try to help you two out."

"Thank you so much, Karl."

"Yes, thank you," I say.

Karl nods his head then looks behind him. "I should be going. See you tomorrow? Try not to be seen okay?"

We both nod our heads and he darts off.

I look over at George and he stares back with concern.

"Is this for real?" I ask him.

"I..." George shakes his head in slight disbelief. "I don't know."

Sorry this one is a little shorter. Thanks for reading! You're the best and awesome and amazing. Don't forget it! :D

969 words