Bonus chapter: Welcome

I had been busy building a house with my father and colleagues for four days, and I was dying to see the reason for my life. The twins welcomed me close to home.

"All in order," said one of them.

"We have taken care of her as you asked," added the other.

"Thank you."

I didn't like leaving her alone, but I admired her ability to get along with herself. She had her own projects to work on, she also visited her friends, and she liked to surprise me with some 'experimental' recipes, as she called them, although everything she made tasted delicious, and I liked to make her something tasty too, every time I could.

I smiled as I remembered our night before. We ended up having a delicate dance to the jazz rhythm, music that could have a very 'sensual' sound, as she called it. And she was right, although, for me, there was nothing more sensual than her body next to mine.

I entered my home and looked for her following her scent. Even though she had left something prepared in the kitchen, I couldn't mistake it. I found her in the garden, watering the plants. I went and hugged her from behind, taking her by surprise. She laughed silently, and I kissed her neck.

"How was everything?" she asked in a whisper.

"Very well," I answered as I brushed my cheek with hers, "and you? How is the clinic going?"

"Almost empty as always." She turned and hung on me to give me one of her sweet kisses. I passionately reciprocated as I held her tight against my body. "I've missed you," she murmured against my mouth, and I kissed her harder.

I bit off her pretty lower lip and lifted her into my arms to carry her to our room. She rested her face on my neck, and I realized something was bothering her. How did I not notice it before?

I sat on the mattress and held her on my lap.

"Is everything fine?"

She was silent for a few seconds, sighed, and stood up. My mind hurried with some possible answers. Had they said something to her for being human? Had she been offended? Who had dared?!

"I think..." she barely murmured and looked at me. "I think I'm expecting a baby."

I went blank for what seemed like forever, but it was only a couple of seconds. A wide smile appeared on my face, and she also smiled, albeit barely.

A baby. I thought it couldn't be possible. A small part of both. The product of our love, and, in fact, I loved it instantly.

"I'm a dad," I murmured while still assimilating it.

"Well," she answered and smiled a little more. "Me too. I'm a mom."

I got on my feet, grabbed her by the waist, and spun while laughing. I couldn't help it. I was so happy. She laughed too, but her expression changed to sadness. I stopped, and she hugged me, so I sat back with her on my lap.

"I'm scared," she whispered against my neck.

"Why? Everything will work out."

"What if it doesn't live? Marcus said..."

"It doesn't matter," I interrupted in a sweet tone. "Everything will be fine. It doesn't matter what science says." She looked at me and rested her forehead on mine. "Everything will be fine. Focus on that." She smiled, and that made me smile too. "I love you."

She kissed me passionately, and I let myself enjoy it. She stopped, and her sweet breath filled my mouth. She slid the tip of her finger down my neck to the first button of my shirt.