01

Draya Banks

"Must you really be blasting music this early in the a

"Must you really be blasting music this early in the a.m. and Kodak on top of that?"

"Jeeze don't start nagging just yet Indie. It's too early in the a.m like you just said."

"Where y'all headed off to without me?" Cecile questioned arms folded and all.

"Relax, Our dad is in town so we're only going for a quick spin to see him then we'll be right back." I explained to her.

"Dad's here? Doing what?"

"Who knows Indie but how about you actually hop in so we can go meet him." She playfully rolled her eyes but hopped in my jeep nonetheless. I waved my old roommate bye as I pulled off from the campus.

It's literally after 7 at night and we're still with our dad

It's literally after 7 at night and we're still with our dad. We ended up spending the entire day with him. It's fine though since we haven't been able to see him in a while between us being at college and him being busy with work.

I'm actually on my final year of college. I started at 18years and thanks to a whole lot of extra credit hours I've put in, I'm eligible to graduate early after only three years.

I could've easily stayed at home and studied online or something but for a different scenery both Indigo and I decided to stay on campus. It's been a long three years but it was good. When I was a freshman I was booked to share a room with Cecile who ended up being a close friend since. Once my sister started attending college my dad wanted us together so we could look out for each other. He pulled some strings and separated Cecile and I, making Indie my new roommate even though it would only last a year since I'm well on my way out. It's fine though, my little sister usually keeps to herself so she definitely won't be getting into trouble and like me she's an all A's student so she got nothing to worry about neither do my parents.

"Aight it's getting late, y'all girls should head back to campus." My dad said leaning off his car.

"You're right but tell mom we gon see her soon though." I said hugging him.

"Yeah thanks giving coming up, we ain't forget!" Indie added as she followed me back to my jeep. We pulled off and drove back to the campus.

Attending college in one state while your family is in another can really be something. It takes some serious getting used to especially when you're family oriented and used to always being surrounded by family every single day. In a way, being away from our parents made us both more mature and independent. Things we would have normally depended on our parents for we now had to learn to do or get on our own which was fine. It makes me feel like I've truly grown and getting closer to the woman I'm meant to be.

Amarie

"Yunno mom gon flip if she finds out you out here house hunting

"Yunno mom gon flip if she finds out you out here house hunting."

"Yup and so will dad."

"But you're gonna do it anyway?"

"Armani you already know the answer to that. We bout to turn eighteen and I don't know for you but I wanna be up and out that house already."

"But why?"

"I can't believe you're asking me that shit. I have no control of my life. WE have no control of our life. Everything for mom and dad is about the family business. I literally had to beg on my knees to go to college. What kind of fuc'd up thing is that?"

"I get that you mad but college ain't even that big of a deal. You smart asf you don't even need college besides we rich we don't need to keep going to school to get no 9-5 job."

"You see you been stuck in that house with em for so long they got ya ass brain washed too. I'm not going to let our parents dictate to me what to do with my life, at least not anymore. Once I turn 18 that's it, I'm done and you don't know shit about college because like me you've never been so don't speak to me on what you don't know. Furthermore, we ain't rich our parents got money and can cut us off at any given time don't be ignorant."

"Marie you make it sound like you cutting ties with us." I wish it were that easy.

I love my family with everything in me but the reality is they freaking rule me. They've been controlling my life for as long as I know and it's worse because Armani and I are the babies of the family PLUS I'm the only girl. It's hard asf being a King and even harder having three brothers. My freedom is restricted asf. I gotta be looking over my shoulder for my brothers when I'm out trynna have some fun or even when I'm talking to a boy because they way over protective. My eldest broher Roman, is the worst of them all. He overprotective with a quick temper that ain't no good combination at all. I'm just a little less scared of him than my dad.

Nasir King. They say the man of the house is the protector and provider of the house. That's my dad for you. Everything that he says, goes. It couldn't be any simpler than that. Everybody under his roof knows not to question him and everybody outside of it too.

My dad's name hold alot of weight in the streets. My whole family name carry some heavy weight that's why folks don't mess with us. Most turn the other way when we're around and those dumb enough to come at us, get checked. Sure, the clothes, jewelry, parties and luxurious cars are great but I want a life outside of all of that. I want a simple life where my freedom is unlimited and people respect me for me and not because of my last name. For that to happen though, the first thing that I would probably have to do is leave New York because this city is practically marked King territory at least most of it, anything else belongs to the Banks. The Banks are the second most powerful family in NY. They're alot like us but ofcourse you won't know by just looking at them. You see in this life, appearance is everything. It could be your fortune or your downfall.