𝟎 ‣ party crasher

PROLOGUE
[ party crasher ]

❝ what the fuck is a jess? ❞

THE DINER was silent. The world around them stopping, waiting, for their joyous moment to end so their prosaic lives could resume.

The flawless atmosphere couldn't be breached by anything remotely negative; there was not a thought of overdue assignments, or unreciprocated love, or the oncoming seasonal depression. At least, that's what Hartley Morales believed.

How could she not? She was with friends, with family, with a grumpy diner owner whom she had no idea how to label. Her heart was alight, her smile was bright, and she was absolutely, undeniably elated. As any teenage girl would be on their sixteenth birthday.

The cake—which seemed to 'mysteriously' inch closer and closer to Lorelai with each passing second—sat almost completely devoured in front of them. One cake versus seven people could be the textbook definition of an unfair fight. A fight which, unsurprisingly, only six of them were winning.

"How could you let me do this, Willy?" Kanan Kapadia  groaned, a hand gripping his stomach. His dramatics thoroughly amused the surrounding party, all of them smiling fondly at the painfully predictable boy.

     Willow Parker scoffed, her middle finger not-so-subtly rubbing the corner of her her eye, "I offered to make you something without dairy."

     "Yeah, well you're a shit friend for letting me say no," he pouted, causing Rory to reach up and pat him on the head.

      "He's like a puppy, he just eats whatever's in front of him," she teased.

Any evidence of pain left Kanan's face. His five-going-on-six year long crush on the Gilmore girl could seemingly heal anything. This had been a known fact since years prior, when he was magically cured of strep throat after Rory gave him a cheap 'get well soon' card from the local dollar store.

     "He's an idiot, that's what he is," Luke Danes stated, picking at the same criminally thin piece of cake he'd been working at for the past hour.

     "You wound me, Lucas," Kanan gasped. Luke simply responded with a glare.

     "Did you hear that, Lucas, you've wounded him," Jorge Morales mocked, hitting his friend on the arm.

"Yeah, Lucas, that's child abuse," Willow joined in.

"I'll show you child abuse," Lucas muttered, Lorelai 'ooh'ing under her breath.