Chapter 102

Blaze POV

Everyone was relieved when they heard the news of her waking up.

They all came to visit. Throughout the day. There was someone with her all the time. Probably because they suspected what I did. Was it an attempted suicide?

After all, she did tell me she would rather drink wolfsbane than be with me. I was so elated that she woke up I wasn't even able to contemplate the possibility of her choosing someone else over me.

As long as she is alive and happy, I could live with that. The worst was over. If she couldn't stand the thought of me to that extent, I have to let her go.

I still felt a pull at my heart at the thought though. I ignored it. These are the consequences of your action Blaze.

Zara seemed exhausted despite waking up from a long rest. But something had changed. She seemed lighter, more pleasant. As if she wasn't carrying the heavy burdens that she had till now.

She was still sarcastic but she laughed easier, her smiles were more genuine and her teasing sincere and from a caring place.

I would find myself staring at her when she was with the gang, not knowing the time flying by. If possible, I fell harder for her. She had smiled at me a few times, but we hadn't properly talked. I was being a coward. I was afraid of what she would have to say. What if she wanted to leave me?

The thought churned inside. I was willing to let her go. I really was. I just had to build up the courage to talk to her and get down with it. I gulped at the thought.

Currently, she was talking with Zarine, rubbing his head and teasing him about something. They had conversed for a long time and she had made things right with him. Almost. And she had talked with the rest of the gang too. One by one.

She had even apologised for electrocuting Hails that one time. Everyone had figured out that the event was deliberate. And she apologized to Amelia for she treated her and she apologized to everyone else for anything wrong she had done.

Raven hadn't come by for some reason. Probably afraid for me. And afraid of the consequences. She probably thought this was all her fault. The only people she hadn't talked to were her parents and me.

The long nap seemed to have been good for Zara. She seemed like a reformed person. Somehow happier, more mature, like she had grown a few years in a span of few days.

The only person who wasn't happy with the news of her waking up was Derek. Ever since he realized her involvement with his mate's murder he had been staying away. Lurking and stewing over it.

He had finally stormed into the hospital, losing his patience and the control he had over his wolf.

I had immediately interrupted. Dex told me he would take care of it, but I had a feeling that the last thing he needed to know was that his daughter killed someone. Her blue eyes and golden coat had given her away.

I hauled Derek outside the hospital.

If I didn't have the power that came with being a king, I would have been overtaken by him. He was the best fighter in all of the packs after all.

"YOU ARE PROTECTING HER DESPITE KNOWING WHAT SHE DID ?" He screamed at me. Trying to push me out of the way so he can have a go at her.

"She is my mate," I told him calmly.

"SHE-" He shouted again.

"She is my mate, Derek," I told him calmly. I protect her. It's the one thing I had failed at all this time. And I didn't want to fail anymore.