Chapter 52: Words Hurt

Brandy

A few days have gone by and before I know it, I'm back at school and my internship with Steven Cruz. That means that my most fabulous winter break ever is officially over.

As relaxing as break was, I have to admit that I missed school. I like going to school, learning new things and being able to study in the library or coffee shop — it's my thing.  

I have two classes with Benji this semester, which is less than last semester but I'm not complaining. I even have another class with Becca Dante, which I'm almost looking forward to. She is the only teacher who tests boundaries and makes me work twice as hard.

After Becca's class, I know I should approach her and tell her how my internship has been going. I see her standing over her desk, looking as focused and intimidating as usual.

"Becca, hi," I say as I walk up to her, books in my hands.

"Miss Bright, it's nice to see you," she says, her eyes still on her desk. "How was your break? Productive, I hope?"

Productive? All I can think about is stripping and wandering around naked at the party. I see myself chugging a forty and almost having sex with Benji. So... no, I wouldn't say it was productive at all.

"Totally productive," I lie.

"And the internship?" She finally looks up at me.

"I've had two weeks off but I'm getting back into it after school today. Mr. Cruz is just great — I'm learning so much from him." I fill her in. "Thank you again for referring me."

"It's my job, Brandy. When I see a person with great potential, I reward that potential. You earned this."

"Thank you," I say.

"How's that boyfriend of yours?"

"Benji is good," I tell her. "Very good."

"Not so good that he's become a distraction? You remember what's important, right?"

I nod. "Of course I remember. School is my number one priority," I try to convince myself. I swore I would never become the kind of girl who cares more about her boyfriend than her schoolwork but that was before I had a boyfriend to care about. And I know how important my education is and I will never stop giving it my all, but I definitely think more about Benji than business.

"I'm glad to hear that, Brandy," she says with relief. She clicks her tongue and sits on her desk before crossing her arms, like she's prepared to talk to me about something serious.

"I don't usually listen to student gossip, and nor do I like to get involved in these things, but I've heard a thing or two about Benji Cruz. Now, his father is a great, successful man — and I admire his work. His son, however, I'm not so sure. I just don't want to see you lose your work ethic."

I chuckle. "If I had a dollar for every time someone warned me about Benji..." I laugh to myself. "Thank you for your concern, Becca, but I know what I'm doing."

"He's kind of a red flag, don't you think?"

I shrug. "I like the colour red." I start walking away, not exactly in the mood to talk shit about my boyfriend with my teacher. I appreciate her intentions but I'm tired of people telling me the same things. "I'll see you next week."

I meet Benji for lunch at a small restaurant by school. We sit in the back right by a window and watch the snowfall from the sky.

"How was school, B?" He asks as his eyes scan the menu.