chapter fifteen | the turning point

Albus kept his hands held at his sides as he approached the sneering man. He'd have to play dumb if he wanted to correctly rectify this situation.

"Now, Severus, please calm down. I cannot speak with you if you do not explain yourself further. I'm assuming this is about Harry, correct?" He watched as the man's face soured even more, as if he despised Albus in that moment.

"Yes you irritable prat. I said his goddamned name did I not?" Good, he was angry. Albus knew very well how to deal with an angry Severus.

Anger him more to the point of vulnerability.

"Ah, so you brought him to Poppy. Did she discover the so called 'signs of abuse' you kept rambling on about earlier? I truly didn't think she'd find anything, seeing as I've spoken with Harry numerous times before and I've never noticed such a thing."

Lies, of course. Albus knew what the child was going through. He'd placed him with his relatives, after all. A fact which, he'd definitely have to check on. Nobody should be able to remember who Harry lived with.

Honestly, it was a shame the boy has to suffer so, but Albus needs to win this war. He will put anything, anyone, in danger if the war calls for it.

His colleague just about exploded at the words that came from his mouth.

"How dare you—Headmaster do you not understand what you've done? Or are you just so fucking up your own arse to give a damn! Do not play me as a fool! I know you've seen the abuse written all over that child—" he pointed a finger at Albus, and the Headmaster did his best to hide his smirk. His plan was working. "—and I know that you've had multiple opportunities to help him, yet you allowed him to continued on in his daily life, terrified of his own shadow! And-STOP SMIRKING! Are you seriously FUCKING LAUGHING?!"

Spittle flew from Severus' mouth onto Albus. Severus had moved into the man's face at the last sentence, now breathing harshly and sneering so forcefully Albus was surprised it didn't hurt the younger man.

"Severus—"

"NO! Goddamnit, I said don't fucking interrupt me! You stand there, laughing, while I'm trying to convey to you how deeply you have just ruined a child's life!"

Albus sighed. "Now, stop with the dramatics, Sev—"

He never got to finish that sentence due to the force of a flying fist hitting him square in the face.

~

"Get off of me woman, I'm fine," Severus hissed, trying to pull his hand from the scowling medi-witch. He had obviously broken his hand, what with the force in which he had hit his boss.

But he couldn't be any happier right this moment. Hell, he'd probably be fired by the end of the night! That means less restrictions on him, meaning he could do more to help Harry.

He smirked a bit to himself as he remembered the shocked look on the man's face.

Absolutely priceless!

The woman snatched his hand back and set to work on casting his hand. "I do not give a rat's arse how fine you are Severus! And get that smile off your face! You're lucky I'm not drugging you with five sleeping potions just for the fun of it! Honestly, the nerve you have, punching your authority." She prodded rather harshly at the man's hand, causing him to hiss. Her eyes flickered up to him and she glared.