(27) The Execution

Is this… the end?
Probably not.
But omg, double update! What is happening :D I'm proud of my motivation :)
Get ready for a longer chapter :3
Enjoy!

When the sun started to rise, Clay realised that he did not get a single minute of sleep.

He was wide awake, staring at the tiny window which told him just how bright it was outside.

His whole mind was blank, the thoughts stopped racing hours ago.
Nothing mattered now. In a few hours he would be dead.

Clay wondered if he was afraid of dying.
He never thought about how it would feel. He did not know how they would be executed either.
By a Pretiosi power? By an axe? By a gun?

He knew that there were lots of ways to kill someone and he just hoped that they would decide on the least painful one.

Minute after minute went by and the surroundings got brighter and brighter.

The worst thing was that he had no idea when they would be executed.

It could be any minute or it could be in a few hours.

Every second that went by made Clay's heart beat a little faster.

A piece of bread was laying in the corner of the cell but he was not hungry.
What point in eating was there when his organs would stop working soon?

Clay never thought about what would happen with a body after a person died.
Cliff had told him once that the limps would go stiff, the skin would go cold and turn blue.
But maybe his brother had just wanted to scare him.

Muffled noises from the cell next to him told him that Darryl was also awake- if he ever slept- and was probably lost in his own thoughts too.

Every single thing Clay noticed, every tiny piece of dust he saw suddenly had a huge meaning to him.

This is the world and I am going to leave it today. And the weird thing is- nothing is going to change if I'm gone. The sun will rise and set as always, the birds in the forest will sing as always, the people will go on with their life and the rain will fall no matter if I'm here or not. The world won't stop moving and the people are going to laugh and celebrate, most of them not even knowing who I was or why I died.

He appreciated the fact that he knew he was going to die.
Cliff and Charlize probably did not know that or at least they did not know when exactly they would die at the front.

They were just blown out of their lives.

When Clay heard footsteps approaching, his whole body tensed up.

Darryl was breathing shakily as one of the doors was getting unlocked.

To his surprise, Clay was not pulled out of the cell by several soldiers.

Instead a golden eyed woman stepped in, staring at him seriously before she slightly smiled.

The door got locked behind her.

"Good morning, Clay."
Her voice was soft and sounded nothing like the raging Fulga he first met.

He opened his mouth to say something too but no word would leave his throat.

Fulga slightly tilted her head.
"I want to get to the important stuff immediately. As you already know, I don't want you to be executed and your power to go to waste. I'm sure I have enough power to stop the King from executing you. I am offering you a luxury life in the castle, the best training and education we have and a long-life job as a personal bodyguard for the royal family if you promise us loyalty and help us fight against the Black Rebellion."