34

"Who the hell was that?" Feng Yue pointed at the man who was chained on the wall inside the dark room. "Is that a new Doll? Or an old one? I have never seen him before." She looked at Feng Xue. "Can you do facial recog on him?"

"Can't. Too dark. Maybe later if they get him out of the room." He pointed at the other security feed where it showed Wei Wuxian and Noah, walking to the room. They must have seen him too, and now tried to free him.

"Fuck. This is a disaster. But if he was there, he was supposed to be one of the newer dolls, right? I thought Duncan already moved them to the new location?"

"Beats me." Feng Xue shrugged. "But we're going to find out about him soon." He pointed his chin to the feed. It showed that Noah was opening the door and the both walked inside the room.

Wei Wuxian and Noah walked to the mysterious room in the basement and opened it very carefully, wary of any traps that could be placed there. Fortunately, the room seemed to be fine and they entered safely. Noah flicked the light and it was on with the fluorescent glow. 

The room was around five by five square without any windows or furniture, and their gazes locked onto the chained man, who was in tatters and obviously had been there for a long time. 

Both of them looked at each other and approached the man slowly and carefully, they never knew if this one was human or monster and why he was chained here all alone. Noah arrived first, and he lowered himself to the man's level to check if he was a monster or a human. His long dark hair obscured his face so they could not see his features. When Noah confirmed that this man was a human and still alive although barely, he moved the hair out of his face to see if somehow the facial recog in his phone could identify the man, but he heard Wei Wuxian gasping lightly.

"You know him?" 

She lowered herself beside Noah, and checked the man's face more closely, then she whispered a name.

"Jun Wu."

She then stood up and tore the chain off with her bare hands and looked at Noah.

"We gotta get him to Xie Lian."

Noah carried the man and put it inside one of the empty rooms while Wei Wuxian called Xie Lian. He came soon after and looked at the man with a bewildered expression on his face.

"Jun Wu? What's he doing here?" Xie Lian quickly checked the man's pulse. He had red welts from the chains on his wrists, and bruises all over his body.

"He looked like someone had been holding him prisoner for a while." Lan Wangji approached and checked the wounds under his tattered clothes. They were all old wounds that had been healing, with newer ones on top of them. Xie Lian quickly cast an array for faster healing on top of his body.

"But why? He was supposed to be by the King's side all the time, and his security was top notch." Wei Wuxian frowned. Jun Wu was the King's advisor, his most trusted people, who rarely went out of the palace without any bodyguard. "This doesn't make any sense at all."

"Let's take him back and question him after he regains his consciousness." Lan Wangji hugged Wei Wuxian. "Sebastian is here to take care of the humans. Hua Cheng's dealing with the monsters. We'll take them all back with us."

"We have to tell Duncan about this." Feng Xue was in panic mode after they saw who the man was. Their plan would go down in flames with this man's appearance. They both knew him from afar. He was the man who always stayed around their father. If he was in this state, it's a good chance that their father had already found out about their plans, and it would be very risky to go on.

"No. Let me think about it first." Feng Yue thought about the new chain of events. Who put him into the DollHouse that was about to be raided by their parents? As far as she knew, up until yesterday, everyone they wanted gone were accounted for, no more, no less. So when did they put him inside?

"Is that room always in our surveillance?" She asked Feng Xue, who checked their surveillance from yesterday.

"Shit. You're right. That's a new camera, new feed. Someone wanted him to be found."

"The problem is, who?"

Sebastian came with a bunch of police and Lan Wangji talked to him about the human Dolls. They already secured the monster ones with Noah making the transportation array straight to Yuwen International's containment chamber, as shown by Xie Lian. He nodded proudly when Noah made them correctly and he and Hua Cheng followed him there, leaving the others to comb the house and to speak to Sebastian.

Wei Wuxian did not come with them and instead she entered the room where Lan Wangji talked to Sebastian, and Lan Wangji saw how Sebastian's eyes widened when he saw Wei Wuxian. They had never met before, so this was their first encounter, and Lan Wangji already disliked the way Sebastian looked at her. 

"Oh wow, who is that?" Sebastian gave a low whistle. "Is that one of the Dolls? God, if someone sent me a woman like that, I wouldn't mind spilling secrets whatsoever."

"That's actually my wife you're just talking about." Lan Wangji pulled her into his embrace, his gaze became cold and unfriendly.

"Wh– fuck, I'm sorry man, I have no idea." Sebastian was so embarrassed by his comments, his face became red. Lan Wangji was a cold and indifferent man. He changed lately because of his girlfriend, who soon became his fiance and now supposedly wife. He had no idea that Lan Wangji's wife would look like that. He heard from scuttlebut that the Ice Prince's wife was otherworldly beauty, but he thought that maybe she's just another second or third generation chaebol, not like this woman who exudes danger like she was some kind of underworld goddess.

Wei Wuxian could sense that Lan Wangji was not happy with something and the man he was talking with was flustered, so she could guess roughly what happened. She tried to defuse the situation by hugging Lan Wangji's waist tight and introducing herself to the man.

"Hello there, I'm Wei Ying, Lan Zhan's wife. And you are…?"

"Ah," the man became redder as he answered her, "I'm Sebastian Delacroix, Interpol. Nice to meet you, Wei Ying." He stole a glance at Lan Wangji.

"Likewise. So, what did you find about the Dolls?" She tried to change the topic.

"They were the missing persons we were looking for, but they said that they did it willingly, without any pressure. They offered their service in exchange for money, and that's it." Sebastian explained it to her.

"They don't remember anything?"

"No. Their memories are wiped clean, and it hasn't been that long since they were missing, so I guess they haven't had any assignment yet."

"Hmm…" Wei Wuxian thought hard about that. It seemed like the children wanted her to do something for them, by giving her this place. But what? And how could she contact them? She thought long and hard about it, when an idea suddenly entered her mind. Stupid. She should have thought of that.

"Lan Zhan, can we go back to our place? Need to talk about something important."

Lan Wangji looked at her and nodded. He wanted to get out of this place too. They said goodbye to Sebastian and hurriedly went out to their car.

"Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian spoke to him in an excited voice, "I'm so stupid to forget this, but do you know how I can connect to anything in the radius of ten klicks? What if I try to search for our kids' signal? We emit special signals that only we can trace, like Xie Lian and I did in a course of extreme distress."

"That's… new." This was the first time Lan Wangji heard about this, but since originally there were only two Devourers, and they stayed near each other, none of them would ever think of using this unique feature.

"Yeah, I'm going to try and search for them. I bet that they are not too far away from here, since if it was me, I would like to see how everything went down from a close vicinity."