Deal

"Where's Wanda?" Bucky asked as he leaned against the doorway.

Loki was reading a spellbook and didn't look up at him. "She's with Strange. They're at his sanctum looking for an ingredient that might amplify our tracking spell."

The trickster assumed Bucky would leave after answering his question, but he didn't. He stood there until Loki finally acknowledged him. "What else do you need, Barnes?"

"We need to talk."

"I don't remember ever having something in common we can talk about."

"We both care about (Y/N)," Bucky said bluntly. "A lot differently from how the others care about him."

"I won't deny that." Loki put down his book and took a seat. Bucky closed the door behind him so that they could talk privately.

"We both know our truce will only last until we get (Y/N) back. After that, we'll probably go back to hating each other."

Loki studied the man in front of him before speaking. "What do you want? For us to pretend as if we aren't constantly pining for his attention. Because I don't plan on stopping."

Bucky sighed and looked down at his hands. "What I am saying is that, if in the end, he chooses you, then you don't have to worry about me. I'll step back."

Though his words surprised him, Loki was still mistrustful by nature. "Really? You're willing to step back?"

"I'm not a prince or a god; there are things you can give him that I can't. Knowing he'll be okay is all I care about."

Loki narrowed his eyes as he tried to figure out what Bucky was playing at. "How do I know you'll keep your word?"

"You're not actually scared I could steal him from you?" Bucky teased.

Loki didn't find it amusing, though. "You say I can give him things you can't, but the same goes for you. You two share various experiences I may never understand, and you've developed a bond."

"That's why I want to make a deal." Bucky extended his hand out to Loki. "No matter who he chooses, we'll respect his decision. And we'll also respect the fact that he'll stay friends with the other."

Loki stared at Barnes's hand for a moment. He never thought he would be agreeing with a Midgardian, especially when it came to you. But after everything you have been through, he realized the only thing he wanted was to see you happy and safe once more. Even if it meant being with someone else.

"I agree to your terms," Loki finally took Bucky's hand. He shook it firmly, but before the supersoldier could let go, Loki squeezed his hand hard enough to make him wish he had used his metal one. "But until (Y/N) makes his decision, don't expect me to play nice."

Bucky finally got out of his grip and smiled. "I don't expect anything less."