Chapter 53 - Enter the Gates of the Ghost Nation

A howl ripped through the air.

The clouds were murky brown, as if they rolled in the mud and stained their pretty white coat. A gush of wind flew past, staining dust in every dark corner.

"So this is the Ghost Nation?" A scoff announced from the left. This man was dressed in grey robes, sauntering past the pathway. By his side was his companion, who also dressed in grey, "Keep your voice down."

Before them was a giant gate, built in bricks and stones that had inseparable moss. Behind the gate, many buildings could be seen. Houses built from decaying wood had sandwiched the roads. A filthy smell of death had lingered in the air.

There was no snow, despite it being winter. Perhaps, it was because Ghost Nation was the territory of the ghosts. During the days of the war, there was no snow in the kingdom.

The two men knew that after crossing this gate, they would enter the territory of ghosts; Ghost Nation.

"Tch." The man dressed in grey robes had clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. "There are so many people. Could it be that they're all here for..."

"THE ONES NEXT IN LINE! COME OVER HERE!" A yell split through the skies.

There were many people (or perhaps, ghosts) lining up at the gates. They were all waiting to be admitted to enter Ghost Nation.

Two ghosts guarded the gates.

They both wore armour, cladded in metal and impenetrable steel. By their waist, a scabbard of a sword was attached to the leather belt. The guarding ghosts had one hand touching the scabbard, ready to slice anyone's neck off if they intrude.

The line of people kept moving.

Many of them were admitted as ghosts, and entered through the gates.

"YOU TWO ARE NEXT!" The man in grey robes and his companion were called on. They smoothly walked towards the gates. Hidden underneath their robes were swords, ready to be pulled anytime for battle.

"Hmm..." One of the two ghost guards had keenly watched them.

The man in grey robes remained unfaltering at the gaze.

"Yo, are you two ghosts?" The ghost guard had huffed. "You guys don't smell like us."

The man in grey robes had countered, "We encountered some humans along the way. That might be why."

Multiple gazes had stuck to his body. His companion sighed, "Enough. Can't we enter?"

They both had applied extra powder on their faces to pale themselves. Both were cultivators, and had to retrieve the aura they emitted, just for the sake to look like ghosts.

"Hey." The ghost guards scoffed. "You don't make the deals here. Don't inquire any further."

The man in grey robes and his companion had shut up.

"Show us your wound." The ghost guard demanded. "That will prove your identity."

The man in grey robes had looked at his companion. They didn't have any wounds, because they were cultivators, not ghosts.